Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get return lines and skimmer to blow out

1. Back To Top    #1
    Cortez, CO

Can't get return lines and skimmer to blow out

I have winterized my pool for 8 years. This year, following the same process as previous years, I can't get the return lines and skimmer to blow out. I drained the bottom of the filter, replaced plug and put the multi port valve on winterize. Attached shop vac on the backwash outlet on filter and attempted to blow out lines. As done in previous years I close the skimmer valve and plug one of the two returns to maximize pressure on the only open return line. It tries to purge but there is not enough air pressure to blow it out. It seems as though something is blocking full air from getting through the line. Block that return and opened the other but got same results. If I open the skimmer valve and try to blow it out the same happens. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    18K gal, IG vinyl, 1 hp single phase Pentair Pinnacle pump part 7-177474-01, Star-Rite Cristal Flow Filter model T-240BP-1, 266,000 BTU Raypac gas heater model PR266AENC, Coverstar electric safety cover, Hayward Navigator Pool Vac, Pentair model 300 Auto Chlorine Feeder( not using). TF-100 Test Kit. Built June 2007

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Howell, New Jersey

Re: Can't get return lines and skimmer to blow out

replaced plug and put the multi port valve on winterize
    Place multi-port on "recirculate", not winterize. Only when you are done with everything and you have drained your filter, then you move to "winterize". Unless I missed something, this is what you stated, correct?

Also, I have never heard blowing out through the backwash line. Are you sure, that in the previous years, you set it on "winterize?" Why not create an adapter out of your skimmers, if not possible at equipment pad.

Is it possible you also have to place the multi-port on backwash and try blowing out through the system. I would try both to see which one works.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013