Sep 27, 2015
Menifee, Ca
We just finished our pool project. We've been using it for about 4 weeks. Today I grabbed a gallon of what I thought was chlorine which was actually acid and poured it in the pool. I panicked immediately and contacted our pool man. He said to put baking soda in which we did. Is the pool going to be ok? How long will it take for the pH level to be ok again?

Hi,
Adding Baking Soda will Raise the TA a lot and pH a little.

Do you know what your pH was prior to adding the acid?
Do you know how many gallons your pool is?
Do you know what your TA was before you added baking soda?
How much baking soda did you put in?
Do you have a salt water pool?
Do you have a plaster pool or a vinyl pool?

All of these things make a difference in determining what to do next.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Try to stay calm. :calm: Here is a link to the Poolmath calculator . As Dave asked earlier, if you know what your starting level was, you can use the calculator to tell you where you are now. This calculator will also tell you what you should add. Below in my signature is a link to the recommended levels for pools. Use it as a reference as well.

As always, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Nice to have you with us.

Hello Alicia, and Welcome to TFP, :wave:

You are in a lot of good hands above, and all will end up well, so not to worry.:)

There is one thing from a safety aspect that I want to mention though. I'm not sure how the error occurred exactly, but I want to ensure that the acid and bleach aren't being stored closely in the same location. If they are, one of them should really be moved to another location. (A lot of people store their acid outside in a tote, or locked cabinet etc.) Acid and bleach should never be stored closely together in the same area because they do Not play well together. I hope this helps, and have a wonderful day. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.