What is the best SWG brand ?

Sep 13, 2015
Bradenton
Hi Guys,

In your experience and knowledge, what is the best quality brand for an oversize SWG ?

After reading some reviews on Amazon, I am concerned that some brands have electric board problems.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-JJ

8,000 Gallon Pool in SW Florida

The Hayward's are very common and a nice mid-range unit. Since they are so widely used, the typical issues are well know and generally very easy to fix.

But as Dave said, other major brands are just as likely to be good too.

Some have some drawbacks. Like the Pentair can only be adjusted in 20% increments without their automation and since the electronics are on the cells, the replacement cells cost more.

Thanks guys,

I have been hesitant with the Hayward because of all the motherboard electrical issues in the Amazon reviews. Perhaps I'm missing something and this can be easily avoided ?

Do you suggest the 25k or 40k option to oversize for an 8,000 Gallon pool?

Thanks guys for the help!

I have been using the Hayward (Goldline) AquaRite T-15 for 10 years. I had the common problem with the input resistor last year. A $2.50 part and 15 min with a soldering iron, and it's back in service. The best value will always be obtained by purchasing the higher output T-15 cell, regardless of how small your pool may be. It will last much longer and is capable of putting out much more chlorine and at a higher rate. The control unit will let you adjust the output in one percent increments from 100% to 1%. A T-15 cell lasted 7+ years in my 19k pool. In your size pool it should be a decade or more before you have to even think about a new cell.

I have been using the Hayward (Goldline) AquaRite T-15 for 10 years. I had the common problem with the input resistor last year. A $2.50 part and 15 min with a soldering iron, and it's back in service. The best value will always be obtained by purchasing the higher output T-15 cell, regardless of how small your pool may be. It will last much longer and is capable of putting out much more chlorine and at a higher rate. The control unit will let you adjust the output in one percent increments from 100% to 1%. A T-15 cell lasted 7+ years in my 19k pool. In your size pool it should be a decade or more before you have to even think about a new cell.

Thank you, that is very helpful.

I was thinking that as long as it is compatible and there is no downside, it would make economical sense to buy the largest cell.

What output % do you use in maintaining chlorine level in your pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The engineer in me loves complicated stuff. The controls engineer in me loves simple stuff. I went with the PureChlor system as American SPS seems to come highly rated, and they are fairly simple. Love it so far....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.