Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the best SWG brand ?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the best SWG brand ?

Hi Guys,

In your experience and knowledge, what is the best quality brand for an oversize SWG ?

After reading some reviews on Amazon, I am concerned that some brands have electric board problems.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-JJ

8,000 Gallon Pool in SW Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: What is the best SWG brand ?

Unfortunately, it is the same brand as the best brand of car.

If one was clearly better than others, it would quickly dominate.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The Hayward's are very common and a nice mid-range unit. Since they are so widely used, the typical issues are well know and generally very easy to fix.

But as Dave said, other major brands are just as likely to be good too.

Some have some drawbacks. Like the Pentair can only be adjusted in 20% increments without their automation and since the electronics are on the cells, the replacement cells cost more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys,

I have been hesitant with the Hayward because of all the motherboard electrical issues in the Amazon reviews. Perhaps I'm missing something and this can be easily avoided ?

Do you suggest the 25k or 40k option to oversize for an 8,000 Gallon pool?

Thanks guys for the help!

5. Back To Top    #5

25k will be fine. We recommend 1.5-3 times larger.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Maybe not avoidable (although I have never had the issue with the board), but often repairable for < $5
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Maybe not avoidable (although I have never had the issue with the board), but often repairable for < $5
    Thank you, good to know.

Which unit do you have and what output % do you use?

8. Back To Top    #8

Every pool is different. The output setting will depend on your pump run time and sun exposure and debris exposure and CYA level, etc.

I have the 40k on my 18k pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I have been using the Hayward (Goldline) AquaRite T-15 for 10 years. I had the common problem with the input resistor last year. A $2.50 part and 15 min with a soldering iron, and it's back in service. The best value will always be obtained by purchasing the higher output T-15 cell, regardless of how small your pool may be. It will last much longer and is capable of putting out much more chlorine and at a higher rate. The control unit will let you adjust the output in one percent increments from 100% to 1%. A T-15 cell lasted 7+ years in my 19k pool. In your size pool it should be a decade or more before you have to even think about a new cell.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    I have been using the Hayward (Goldline) AquaRite T-15 for 10 years. I had the common problem with the input resistor last year. A $2.50 part and 15 min with a soldering iron, and it's back in service. The best value will always be obtained by purchasing the higher output T-15 cell, regardless of how small your pool may be. It will last much longer and is capable of putting out much more chlorine and at a higher rate. The control unit will let you adjust the output in one percent increments from 100% to 1%. A T-15 cell lasted 7+ years in my 19k pool. In your size pool it should be a decade or more before you have to even think about a new cell.
    Thank you, that is very helpful.

I was thinking that as long as it is compatible and there is no downside, it would make economical sense to buy the largest cell.

What output % do you use in maintaining chlorine level in your pool?

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Currently in my very sunny pool I'm running the SWG for 7 hours a day at about 40%.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

The engineer in me loves complicated stuff. The controls engineer in me loves simple stuff. I went with the PureChlor system as American SPS seems to come highly rated, and they are fairly simple. Love it so far....