Problem blowing out pool lines

You probably do not have enough volume to move the water. I use the Cyclone and the first 2 lines on either side went first, but after that it was one line at a time. The only thing I can suggest is too close off and isolate everything and blow out the lines one at a time. You may have problems with the main drain on this one.

If you have 2 return jets and 2 skimmers, close off both jets and one skimmer. Now work on the first skimmer and after this is plugged off, remove the other skimmer quickly and work on this one. Repeat the process. Also, from where are you blowing out the lines? Do you have the filter on recirculate? Close off the multi-port valve when working on the skimmers, then open to recirculate.

Maybe it is best to plug the suction line (Skimmers & Main Drain)in the pump basket and work on the returns first, then move on to the skimmers and main drain.

Please post some pictures of equipment, etc. The more pictures, the easier to follow. Thank you.

If the other lines are blocked, the main drain should go if the valve is open. The main drain takes longer than the others due to the depth. Once the main drain goes, close the valve. Be careful not to over pressure anything.

I have 2 separate valves for main drain and main drain return. I am assuming main drain needs to be open while blowing out the lines, then close it once bubbles come out. But my question is what should the main drain RETURN be set to. I had it off the whole time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It depends on the cfm (cubic feet per minute) delivered by the compressor and how much volume needs to be cleared. The volume of the pipe is determined by length and diameter. Try waiting a few more minutes.

How long should I waiting roughly. I waited like 2 minutes..

Compressors do not move a lot of cubic feet per minute. You might not be waiting long enough or you might have air leaking out somewhere

As JamesW mentions above. There may not be enough volume.

Please make sure main drain valve is open. Then, it is suggested that you have everything closed off, plugged, valve turned so only air is heading down to the main drain. If you can post pictures of the plumbing that would be great. You only want air moving towards the main drain. You might have an air leak coming out, but my guess is the 3 gallon tank now sending out a burst of air is not enough volume to move water and/or create a lot of bubbles at the main drain. When you send air down to the main drain, how quickly does that tank dump and start filling up again?

Question on removing water and pushing air through system

Take a look @ Post # 8. Maybe when the tank dumps, you could allow it to fill up and then once you open up the tank open the valve again. Or as Pool Tool states that he starts with fairly low pressure until most of the water is removed and then he increases pressure to get every bit out. He does not mention main drain, but you can give this a try.

Notes that I had acquired prior to Cyclone Purchase

This is all the information that I gathered over the months.

• Blowing out an 8 foot deep Main Drain line only takes about 3.5 - 4 psi.

• The motor has to be large enough to keep around 15-20 psi in the tank so you can keep a constant 8-10 psi going into the lines.

• Do not over pressurize the lines. 5 to 10 psi is sufficient.

2 skimmers at 100 feet of 2 inch PVC..............4 cubic feet
1 main drain at 100 feet of 2 inch PVC.............2 cubic feet
1 Polaris line at 100 feet of 2 inch PVC............2 cubic feet
1 vacuum line at 100 feet of 2 inch PVC..........2 cubic feet
2 Return lines at 100 feet of 2 inch PVC..........4 cubic feet
3 foot diameter sand filter...........................14 cubic feet.
Miscellaneous.............................................2 cubic feet.

Total......................................................3 0 cubic feet

Word of caution when blowing lines with a compressor. They don't usually blow enough volume to displace all the water. It may only form a tunnel in the pipe.. It can blow a hole in flex pipe. Line blowing is best done with a high volume of low pressure air. Compressors generate low volumes of high pressure.

Please make sure that you have your compressor on low pressure to create more volume. Maybe check the specifications on your air compressor to determine if this is even possible.

Last edited:
IMG_1799.JPG So I have both a pool drain valvle and a pool drain return valve. I am assuming pool drain should be closed and pool drain return should be opened? if bubbles come out then close the pool drain return valvle? also, I had the psi at like 20 - 30 psi, do you think I damaged the pipes? I didnt realize psi should be so low.

Can you please send an enlarged picture. This picture is only of the "Jandy Valves". The whole set up would be nice. Something like these pictures below. Then we can go from there. Do not go over 20 PSI on the setting. Everything has to be closed besides the main drain. Then after bubbling, you can close the valve to create the "air lock".

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

These pictures show the whole setup & the top view as well.

ok but I guess I am confused, I would assume the valve labeled "main drain RETURN" would be open and not the valve labeled "Main Drain". Is this correct or am I wrong? I will try to take pics later tonight.

Please post some pictures and we can go from there. I do not know how they were labeled. You would know your system better than we do. The valves should have pins in them so you accidentally do not shut down both the main drains and the skimmers at the same time. You could easily remove them, but not recommended.

How many returns do you have? I have 2 sets. One valve controls both. They are either all open, or only one can be closed at the same time. I have one valve that is completely closed off so it does not move to protect the returns from accidentally being moved and also have a return for the waterfall that was never built and is there for the future.

As you can see in my pictures, I have 2 valves for the suction side (going into the pump) for the Main Drain and Skimmers. The pipe coming out of the filter is for the returns. Sometimes in older style pools, the main drain and skimmers are all hooked up together. I am assuming your set up is not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.