Taylor refill reagents question

Good Day, everyone. I have been using the TFP method now for a month with my new spa and everything is magnificent, many thanks. I will be in need of PH drops and was wondering if they are pretty much universal? I can obtain them locally at a reputable hardware or spa retailer. If this is a correct assumption, do I have to be sure they are the "5 drops at a time" type? I seem to remember seeing/using some that were 3 drops per test decades ago. Your input is greatly appreciated.

A couple things to keep in mind when shopping for pH reagents. There are two kinds out there - R-0014 and R-0004. For your kit, you want the R-0004, not the R-0014. Your local pool store should have those replacement reagents for you in the Taylor brand. It's always possible that some "other" brands have a slightly different concentration.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Lyd, correction to my first reply above. The Taylor K-2106 you use contains the R-0004 Taylor reagent. It is not universal and, generally, is the only replacement you should use for your K-2106. I overlooked that in my first reply to you. Reagent R-0014 is not the correct one. Sorry for any confusion.

This is the component list webpage for the Taylor K-2106 Kit. The phenol red pH drops are R-0004. You MUST use R-0004 drop with the 9058 comparator block.

If you need refills, you can easily order them online. I would not mix and match other vendors reagents with the Taylor comparator block. They are not same chemistry formulations. Taylor specifically formulates their phenol red drops to reduce FC and eliminate interferences. PoolMaster phenol red drops require the use of a dechlorinator prior to use. I'm not sure what HTH does. Concentration of phenol red affects the color intensity and could give a false read in the wrong comparator block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.