Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor refill reagents question

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor refill reagents question

Good Day, everyone. I have been using the TFP method now for a month with my new spa and everything is magnificent, many thanks. I will be in need of PH drops and was wondering if they are pretty much universal? I can obtain them locally at a reputable hardware or spa retailer. If this is a correct assumption, do I have to be sure they are the "5 drops at a time" type? I seem to remember seeing/using some that were 3 drops per test decades ago. Your input is greatly appreciated.
    2015 Bullfrog 131 180 gal Spa Indoor, TFP bromine fed, Taylor K-2106
    2012 2500 gal. Round vinyl AG Pool, Hayward Easy Clear Filter System, chlorine
    1994 Rubbermaid 175 gal horse tub, still looking for advice on algae problem.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor refill reagents question

A couple things to keep in mind when shopping for pH reagents. There are two kinds out there - R-0014 and R-0004. For your kit, you want the R-0004, not the R-0014. Your local pool store should have those replacement reagents for you in the Taylor brand. It's always possible that some "other" brands have a slightly different concentration.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Texas Splash; 09-27-2015 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Made correction to the reagent type
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Lyd, correction to my first reply above. The Taylor K-2106 you use contains the R-0004 Taylor reagent. It is not universal and, generally, is the only replacement you should use for your K-2106. I overlooked that in my first reply to you. Reagent R-0014 is not the correct one. Sorry for any confusion.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

This is the component list webpage for the Taylor K-2106 Kit. The phenol red pH drops are R-0004. You MUST use R-0004 drop with the 9058 comparator block.

If you need refills, you can easily order them online. I would not mix and match other vendors reagents with the Taylor comparator block. They are not same chemistry formulations. Taylor specifically formulates their phenol red drops to reduce FC and eliminate interferences. PoolMaster phenol red drops require the use of a dechlorinator prior to use. I'm not sure what HTH does. Concentration of phenol red affects the color intensity and could give a false read in the wrong comparator block.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

TFTestkits.net also sells it. R-0004 refill
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach