Help with cloudy water

Assuming an exact percentage of 8.25, and your input of FC 4.5, target 30, CYA 50, TA 100, CH 350, temp 81, (although some of those values don't matter), your pool volume is 9K. Can you go out and measure pool depths in the morning? Measure the depth of the water, not the pool. Also, describe in detail the slopes.

I have a pic of the pool sectioned down the middle showing depths and slope etc. and I can scan it it but I'm not sure how to post it. It's 16x32; 3ft. at the shallow end and 6ft at the deepest part which is really just a well sort of. The sides are squiggly but if you imagine that it's a string and pull the squiggles straight it would be 16 x 32 all the way. If that makes any sense.

Okay. That means your bleach was bottled on the 233rd day of 2015. I was thinking that if it was super-fresh, that might account for some of your FC gain. Bleach often starts out at higher than listed levels. Seems like in your case, that's not likely. Now we are looking at testing error and/or pool volume issues. The OCLT will be fine. Let us know.

If you want to post a photo, search the forum. I would send you a link, but I gotta get to bed.... Early work day tomorrow. Good luck!

I have a pic of the pool sectioned down the middle showing depths and slope etc. and I can scan it it but I'm not sure how to post it. It's 16x32; 3ft. at the shallow end and 6ft at the deepest part which is really just a well sort of. The sides are squiggly but if you imagine that it's a string and pull the squiggles straight it would be 16 x 32 all the way. If that makes any sense.

If you know who built the pool, that would be the best way to determine the volume. If your pool slowly and gradually slopes down to the deep end from the shallow end and is 16*32, then you could have about 13,500 gallons. Can you describe the pool. Is it like a figure 8, where in the middle it becomes smaller? The best way to determine the volume is to obtain fresh bleach. Test the water with a 25 ml. sample and take your time. Add bleach, wait 30 minutes and test again. Repeat the test after 60 minutes. It is best to do this when there is no sun. Then you can go back to Pool Math and back off the numbers based on the % of the bleach. You can also use a degradation schedule, depending on how old the bleach to determine %.

How did you get to 344 oz. of bleach (The smaller gallons are 121 oz. and regular are 128 oz.). Maybe I am missing something.

Below is the link to the Degradation Schedule of 8.25% and 12.5% liquid chlorine. This may help you plug in a lower % based on the time it is sitting on the shelf. 2 months at 70* is 7.50% bleach for the 8.25% concentration.

Breakdown of bleach over time by storage temperature - Page 2

If you know who built the pool, that would be the best way to determine the volume. If your pool slowly and gradually slopes down to the deep end from the shallow end and is 16*32, then you could have about 13,500 gallons. Can you describe the pool. Is it like a figure 8, where in the middle it becomes smaller? The best way to determine the volume is to obtain fresh bleach. Test the water with a 25 ml. sample and take your time. Add bleach, wait 30 minutes and test again. Repeat the test after 60 minutes. It is best to do this when there is no sun. Then you can go back to Pool Math and back off the numbers based on the % of the bleach. You can also use a degradation schedule, depending on how old the bleach to determine %.

How did you get to 344 oz. of bleach (The smaller gallons are 121 oz. and regular are 128 oz.). Maybe I am missing something.

Below is the link to the Degradation Schedule of 8.25% and 12.5% liquid chlorine. This may help you plug in a lower % based on the time it is sitting on the shelf. 2 months at 70* is 7.50% bleach for the 8.25% concentration.

Breakdown of bleach over time by storage temperature - Page 2
I do know who built the pool but they have such a bad reputation that I am hesitating contacting them. I understand your idea of using bleach to determine volume and I'm playing with that now.
the 344oz of bleach came from the pool math calculator but I based that on 15,000 gallons which I now realize is wrong. I failed the OCLT last night. Started at 31ppm of FC. In the morning, before sunrise, I had 26.5ppm.
I did not add any bleach since I was way over the 20ppm required shock level.
This evening when I got home from work, I brushed down the pool as best I could.
I tested again after dusk and had 15ppm FC with a CYA of 60.
I punched those values into the calculator but changed my pool volume from 15,000 down to 11,000.
the results told me to add 147oz. Bleach which I did.
I'm getting ready to test again before bedtime to ensure I'm at or above shock level. Not really sure why my CYA went from 50 to 60 overnight but I will adjust my shock value accordingly.

Once again, thank you all for your advice, I would be lost without you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am glad to read your update. I was checking all day!

My bet is that the CYA difference is a testing error. You need to run CYA tests in full sun, with the sun to your back.

If you have enough bleach on hand, it won't hurt to use the 60 CYA figure. You need to slam....

Once again, thank you all for your advice, I would be lost without you!

I am learning only from the best TFP members. The credit is to be given to everyone on this forum. :compress:

I tested again after dusk and had 15ppm FC with a CYA of 60.
I punched those values into the calculator but changed my pool volume from 15,000 down to 11,000.
the results told me to add 147oz. Bleach which I did.

Please make sure that you come up to SLAM levels. If your pool is larger, then you could not be up to the correct levels. We have not confirmed that you have 11,000 gallons or 15,000 gallons. Even though the PB has a bad reputation, I still would call them. You are just asking a simple question. One way you can approach the PB is to claim that your friend wants a pool built and you are doing the research. Tell them who you are and they want the same pool. "Oh by the way, how many gallons is the pool as my friend would like to know". You still will have to confirm with the bleach as I mentioned in my previous post. This is how I did it and it confirmed the size of my pool, which was almost identical to the PB specs.

Keep us posted!

How did it go this morning?

Here is another way to do your volume: Divide your pool into sections. You have a (semi)-rectangular area that is all 3', so 3'x16'x32'. You can calculate the volume of the remaining truncated "cone" if you estimate the radius/diameter of the deep end floor. You need to be sure you are measuring water depth, not wall depth, btw.

My volume (20x40x 3.5-8.5 with cut-outs in the corners and adding stairs) is 26,900 gallons. My calculation is way closer to the volume during fill. Pool math can't estimate slopes, only "average depth".

My bet is that the CYA difference is a testing error. You need to run CYA tests in full sun, with the sun to your back.

I have been doing CYA tests in my kitchen under the fluorescent lights. Is it better to do it outside? I really don't have much faith in that test as it's difficult to tell if I can still see the black dot or not. Sometimes it seems that the dot gets imprinted on my retinas and I'm not sure if I'm really seeing it or not!

Not much to update since life has been getting in the way rather drastically today! I did not test for FC this morning so I don't know if there was a loss or not overnight. Nor did I call the pool builder for advice on pool volume. Hopefully tomorrow will be an easier day for me and I can get some info.
I did check FC and CYA about an hour ago. FC - 15.5 and CYA - 47
I added 168oz bleach still basing calculations on a 11,000 gallon pool.
the water looks very good, even now at dark with the light on. I will not be continuing with the slam for now though since I'm having a party this Saturday. Hopefully the chlorine levels will drift down enough by then.
I will continue to monitor and if need be start the whole process over again next week. Hopefully with a better idea of my pool volume.
thanks again for your help!

I forgot to say that I plan to do an OCLT tonight. Fingers crossed that it passes!
Also, my dog Toby pointed out that I had a baby rattlesnake swimming around a few hours ago. As I watched it managed to get out of the pool. Toby ran over to check it out since he loves anything that moves fast (lizards, frogs,etc.). Good thing he minds well, I hollered at him to come to me, put him in the house with the other dogs and tried to scoop the snake up in my skim net. That didn't work but I did get him off the deck and under a bush. Hopefully he moves on overnight. Meanwhile doing research on dogs and venomous snake bites...this day has been crazy!

Whoa! I went and had dinner without my phone and yikes! You have had drama!!!! Glad your dog is okay.

Yup, do the OCLT tonight, but retest your FC since you added more chlorine. You need an accurate, circulated FC.

Let us know in the morning!

another post coming your way about CYA, but need to get this one out now so you will retest FC

I have been doing CYA tests in my kitchen under the fluorescent lights. Is it better to do it outside? I really don't have much faith in that test as it's difficult to tell if I can still see the black dot or not. Sometimes it seems that the dot gets imprinted on my retinas and I'm not sure if I'm really seeing it or not!

Yes, the CYA test is difficult. However, you must do the test outdoors, in full sun, with your back to the sun, and with the vial held at waist level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.