Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair pool and spa control system comments / suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair pool and spa control system comments / suggestions

Hi, I requested a bid from a pool company for a SWG including installed. They gave me the price for that, but also the option for automation, which I now want. Love the idea of using my Iphone to get the spa fired up.

Here are the items listed in the proposal:
    Pentair EasyTouch with IC40 system
    ScreenLogic bundle
    7 hours labor

I asked for more info such as model numbers of the items in the proposal:
    Pentair 520593
    Pentair 520500

I have not discussed this with the company yet, but I need to control the heater, pump, air blower, one light, and turn on spa.

Any comments and/or suggestions? Thank you
    First time pool owner. Fired pool guy in mid 2014. Purchased home w/ plaster 14,500 gal 16x32 inground + spa, all newer Pentair equipment.
    Test kit: Taylor K-2006 Pump: Intelliflo variable drive # 011018 4x160 Filter: Triton Fiberglass Sand Heater: MasterTemp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair pool and spa control system comments / suggestions

I think you will love the Easy Touch 8 and Screen Logic. You can download the Screen Logic app for free and try it on your apple or android phone/tablet. The app has a demonstration function so that you can see what your screen will look like. The app covers the most used functions, but you will need to use the PC program supplied with the Screen Logic to do more advanced functions such as schedules.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hoover,

I suggest that you talk with your pool company and let them know what all you want your system to do. There are a number of EasyTouch systems, so the more they know the better they can make sure you get what you want. Some of the things that pop to mind are:

1. The pump is controlled by a serial cable that comes with the pump. Do you have the cable or is the PB going to supply it?
    2. Unless you have valve actuators, automation is not so automatic. Are actuators included in the price?
    3. The EasyTouch 4, (the one quoted) has 4 relays. One will be used to control the SWG, one for the light, and I (assume) one for the blower, that only leaves you one for anything in the future.
    4. As far as the pool light goes, this could be very easy or very hard, depending on access to the current light switch or junction box.
    5. Do you have any water features you want to control?

I do not have the Screen Logic, but it will be my next upgrade. Automation is like eating one potato chip, it can't be done. The more you have the more you want.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely go with the Easy Touch 8. Once you get into the automation there are all kind of things you may want to add that will require additional relays.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you both for the advice and pointing me in the right direction. I do appreciate it very much.
    First time pool owner. Fired pool guy in mid 2014. Purchased home w/ plaster 14,500 gal 16x32 inground + spa, all newer Pentair equipment.
    Test kit: Taylor K-2006 Pump: Intelliflo variable drive # 011018 4x160 Filter: Triton Fiberglass Sand Heater: MasterTemp