Need Help afer draining multiple times to lower CYA.

Jun 20, 2015
League City, TX
Looking for guidance after draining pool twice to lower CYA. Just finished refilling and not sure what's next. I received a bad gallon of stabilizer, since I had never used didn't realize there was a problem until it was to late. About halfway thru the gallon it was solid. Can't totally blame the pool store since I overlooked the fact it could take days or a week for my CYA to register and kept adding more. My CYA went up, per Pool Math I drained the pool about 2/3. Waited a about a week for it to stabilize (no pun intended) tested today at 30-50 after using the half pool water and half faucet water method (60-100). Drained again halfway and refilled with fresh water. Other than the CYA the water was clear (daily brushing and vacuum) and all numbers were holding steady. Listing my numbers prior to draining below. My SWG alarm triggered for low salt last night which I added, and lost after draining.
Please Help Thanks!
Using the HTH 6 way test strips for now. Will invest in a better kit for next season.
FC-3
PH-7.8
TA-80
TH-200
CYA- 60 to 100

Hi, welcome to TFP! Raise your salt to the correct level for your SWG and lower your pH to 7.2 Bump up the FC to 4ppm with liquid chlorine until the SWG is able to keep the FC at 3-4ppm.

60 - 100 is too broad a range to even use. 60 is ok, 70 is ok 80 you could live with, 90 or 100 no good.

Until you get accurate numbers, dont even worry about it.

These are my current readings about 3 1/2 hours since refill with pump running. Adding the Acid and bleach now. Separately as read in other post. Will post new numbers tomorrow. Thank you for any further direction.

Salt is test is just below 5.3 (2000 ppm).
FC-2
PH-8.4
TA-120
TH-200
CYA-30 to 50

These are my new numbers. Should I add the Washing Soda now or will it throw my PH and TA more out of wack? Also should I go ahead and turn on my SWG since adding the bleach or wait until it's regular schedule tomorrow/ tonight?
Feeling a bit overwhelmed!

New Numbers:
FC-3
PH-7.5
TA-40
TH-200
CYA-30-50

Turn-on your SWG and let it start working. You'll need to experiment with it over time until you figure out how much percentage and run time is required to produce enough FC on its own. Until that happens, augment with bleach to maintain that required FC range of 3-5. Make sure the FC never drops below 3. At the same time, you should have a sock soaking with more stabilizer for a target goal of at least 70. That CYA range of 70-80 is very important to protect the limited FC your SWG creates.

Your other numbers are fine for right now. In the future though, when you post hardness, don't use TH, use CH. :) Normally CH doesn't apply to a vinyl pool, but since you have a SWG it may not be a bad idea to always show it. Hope this helps. Just focus on that FC quite a bit for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.