Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: adding bleach daily?

1. Back To Top    #1

Indianapolis, IN

adding bleach daily?

Well we have finally conquered the problem of our pool not holding chlorine and the water looks great. We are now in the process of lowering the TA which was 250 and is now down to 225. We are using muratic acid and then aerating to get ph back up. Seems like this might be a long process! I am now checking the FC daily. How much ppm is normal to lose in a day? The pool temperature is 51 degrees. Do most people find themselves adding chlorine on a daily basis? Just trying to get a general idea how much bleach I will be adding on a weekly basis.
    18x36 ft
    19,000 gal IG vinyl
    Sand filter Tagelus 24"
    1HP Whisper Flo Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: adding bleach daily?

It's reasonable to expect to have to add some bleach each day. Use and Sun/ weather/ debris falling in the pool will use up chlorine. How much bleach you will need to use each day depends on a number of factors! If you could get us some test #s we could help more.

Yes, airation to lower TA is a slow process, but it sounds like you are doing it correctly

Others with more specific advice will come along but, in the meantime, just keep doing as you have been
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

With cold water you might lose 0.5 to 1.0 ppm. In the summer, 2.0 to 2.5 ppm is more common. Of course these numbers vary, mostly depending on how much direct sunlight your pool gets.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW PA

Right now, I can go 3-5 days without adding bleach but once the weather warms up and we start using the pool every day, I'll have to add bleach atleast every other day at the most. I usually check it every evening though and add accordingly. 8)
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Hi....familiar with the CYA chart? For my CYA level, I add bleach according to the "target" column, and I test with the OTO test daily. I usually only have to add bleach every other day... I try to keep it between "target" and "minumum", and I NEVER let it go below the minimum. If the bather load is higher than normal, or it's hotter, whatever, I may have to add bleach daily to keep above minimum. But for the most part every other day works for me. There have been times, as early spring or late fall, when I can go several days without adding chlorine. You have to get to know your pool, what its chlorine demands are. My friends pool has more swimmers so his demand for FC is higher than mine.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner