LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Slam in process. Following directions to the tee. Numbers are holding fairly well. My question is. After backwashing during the slam process, can I add fresh water to keep levels up to normal depth or just enough to keep the pump functioning?
I believe I should check the numbers, backwash, then check the numbers again and adjust the chemicals. Do I understand the process?

Hello Schnozz,

You can add water to maintain the "normal depth" then just test, and adjust your chemicals accordingly after the needed water is added. I would actually backwash, check the numbers, and then adjust accordingly. IMO there's no need to for the extra test immediately prior to the backwash if you are going to be checking after you backwash anyway.

Any pattern that works for you. I usually say Add, wait, test, calculate, add, wait, test, calculate. If you need to backwash, I would do it between the calculate and add steps. Add enough water to be at the level it should be under normal conditions.

All you need to check is FC and CC and note that you can do the 10ml test while in the SLAM process.

- - - Updated - - -

As you can see, there is no real 'right' way. Just make sure you are keeping the FC up to the proper level and so the rest when it makes the most sense. :)

I was reading the information on Algae once again trying to figure out why after a couple successful months of pool chemistry, with crystal clear water I might add, that I would have ANY problem with algae. Tested like a fiend, numbers were very consistent. The chlorine /CYA levels were always within acceptable range. What I came up with, upon reading once again :study:, was that I wasn't REALLY doing ALL the maintenance steps necessary on a weekly basis. Didn't brush weekly or vacuum regularly. Too busy patting myself on the back I would imagine:super:. Unable to hold a brush or vacuum with one hand.:hammer: Thanks for all your help......

Having trouble passing OCLT. Still dropping 2-3 PPM over night (tested last night after sundown and this morning before sun hit the pool) Keeping the numbers steady according to pool school ( had my wife add chlorine during the day while at work) Tested CYA again this morning and I noticed it was a little higher than I thought (60 not 50). I adjusted my chlorine up accordingly. (From 20 to 24) Brushing every two days. Pump running 24/7 since 9/26. Checked ladder & thermometer nothing lurking. Water crystal clear though ....yay! Has it been long enough or am I trying to rush it?

1. I can easily read into your post that you are backwashing automatically......that's not the case, is it?

2. You still have organics in your pool.....the FC consumption greater than 1 ppm overnight confirms that. Stay with your SLAM value FC until you pass the OCLT then you are complete.

I've backwashed/rinsed about three times since I started on the 25th. Each time the the pressure has increased about 25 - 30% from 4 psi which is normal to about 5 psi ( Intex gauge is very small and located in an awkward position for an old guys to see)....Ill keep it up. Friday to Sunday I can monitor chlorine levels regularly as I'm not working. Thanks again

Hello Schnozz,

I agree that your overnight loss is still too high to stop. You don't want to stop prematurely as it can cause you to backslide, and possibly lose the progress you've already made, and we don't want that to happen. So keep up the great job, and please continue to SLAM.

Since you noticed a slight difference in the CYA, and adjusted your chlorine level accordingly, that slight increase may be the extra push you need to get it completed soon.

Continue to SLAM until you have:
1)a FC drop of 1ppm, or less overnight.
2)a CC of 0.5ppm or less
3)clear water

You stated you are passing the crystal clear water part already which is great. :)

What is your current CC level? Is it at 0.5ppm or less yet, or is it still higher than that?

You are definitely heading in the right direction, and hopefully it won't take you much longer to get it completed. So hang in there. Keep us posted on your progress, and have a wonderful night. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've backwashed/rinsed about three times since I started on the 25th. Each time the the pressure has increased about 25 - 30% from 4 psi which is normal to about 5 psi
That means you are still filtering debris from the water. A really clean pool will go weeks without the need to backwash.

Keep SLAMing

Yep. Thanks for the tip. Took out the ladder and took apart the skimmer. Ladder was clean but the skimmer cover had a bit of something under the removable sleeve that floats to water level and holds the leaf basket on place. Washed with soap and water and soaked it in bleach for a bit. Unable to complete the OCLT yet as it rained overnight Saturday and again Sunday. No pressure change since Friday, so no backwashing either. Keeping a close eye on my CL and CYA. CC at .5 or less. Everything is holding fairly well. Water is crystal clear. Hoping for clear skies to complete a OCLT tonight...

Sounds good Schnozz. Just keep doing what you're doing, maintaining the level at or slightly above shock level at all times, brushing 1-2xs a day, vacuuming often while paying close attention to algae hiding areas ie) skimmers, weir doors, lights, returns, steps, ladders, and the area where the wall of the pool, and the bottom come together. The longer you maintain it at shock level or slightly above, the faster the process will go, so continue to bump it back up to shock level as often as possible until the SLAM is complete. Good luck on tonight's OCLT if you are able to attempt it, and keep us posted. Have a wonderful day. :)

Chlorine was a little high last night around 6:30 PM (28 ppm instead of 24 ppm with a CYA of 60) because my wife and I did our due diligence and added chlorine but each of us neglected to inform the other. The good news is, we completed all three requirements of the OCLT this morning at 4:00 Am.
1. Crystal clear water
2. CC of .5 ppm or below
3. No drop of Cl overnight
Everyone has been great. The sage advice (Add, wait, test, calculate...And Fitting Brushing and Vacuuming in there as well, along with the occasional backwash whenever necessary and to just HANG ON) along with the encouragement and reminders have kept us going. I can't thank all who responded to my posts enough. The next time it happens, and I'm sure it will, I will have the confidence to know that if I stick with the tried and true Trouble Free program, I can make it right. And if I have difficulties, you will be there to assist. I appreciate the way the seasoned posters (Senior Members) have stepped up to answer questions that I'm sure you've answered a hundred times....:lovetfp:
I'll probably hold the line at shock value for another day then let it come down slowly on it's own to normal levels according to pool school, continuing to brush and test. Looks like we're just in time too. Could be 100 plus degrees this weekend in SoCal soooo, we WILL be taking advantage of a clean & clear pool. :paddle:
I'll be back to update shortly and thanks again, Bob

Congrats on passing your OCLT :whoot:.

In regards to your above statement of : "The next time it happens, and I'm sure it will," How about we see if we can prevent this from occurring again ever :).

Here's some tips to preventing this in the future: Check your chlorine levels daily, and Always maintain your chlorine levels above the minimum for your current CYA level, if you never let it fall below the minimum for your CYA level algae won't grow. :)

Keep debris from sitting in the pool for any extended period of time, if a big storm blows a bunch of leaves, etc., in then use your leaf rake to get the debris out as soon as possible.

Brush daily, and vacuum as needed.

Increase your FC level slightly higher than Target especially after rain, on especially hot and sunny days, when you have large bather loads that have been swimming in the pool, etc. (I personally run my chlorine levels at 1-2ppm above the Target for my current CYA at all times for added protection, and to try to ensure I don't ever drop below the minimum for my current CYA.)

As you know the CYA test is somewhat a subjective test that can be off by +/-10ppm.

If you look at the Chlorine/CYA chart http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock at the minimum ranges, if you read your CYA at 50ppm, yet it is actually 60ppm, then if your chlorine level drops to 4ppm which is the minimum for the 50 CYA that you thought it was, then that is going to be below the minimum of 5ppm for the 60 CYA that it actually is, so algae can grow. So that's exactly why I run mine 1-2ppm higher than the Target to give me a little more piece of mind, a little added insurance, and prevent that below minimum drop in case I made an error in reading the CYA results.

We want to see you back around here, But not because you are battling algae. I hope this helps, and have a wonderful day. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.