new pool owner (newbie)

Sep 25, 2015
Toronto
Hello,

My name is JJ and just moved in recently and am a new pool owner. Abit confused and am a newbie with water balancing and have been trying my best to keep the pool clean. I've been getting these black worm like things that collect at the bottom of the pool. They aern't a problem for the vacuum but would like to if there could be any way I could keep critters, bugs, worms out of the pool? And would like some help with water balancing. I went out and got the strip (water kit wasn't available locally, they said they would have to order it for now). I live in Canada and winter is on it's way. So would appreciate any tips/advice on pool maintenance and would have to close soon before the snow.

ph = 7.8
ppm free chlorine = 10
ppm alkalinity = 40
ppm stabilizer = 20
(that's all this strip shows, don't have any other values because I couldn't get the full kit).

Hello JJ, and welcome to TFP, :wave:

Congrats on being a new pool owner, you must be very excited about having your own pool.

I'm not sure what the worms like things are without seeing them, but it's possible that they are larva.

Without one of the recommended test kits it's going to be basically impossible for you to properly manage your pool, and impossible for us to be able to instruct you properly on how to manage it with the use of test strips. So please for your own sake, and the sake of your new pool order either the TF 100 test kit or the Taylor K-2006 test kit.

It is also difficult for us to try to give you advice to help get your levels correct because we can't assure the readings are correct because, more often than not, the test strip measurements are not a reliable means of checking your levels.

With that said, the 1st thing I recommend is, as mentioned above, you need one of the recommended test kits ordered, and recheck all your levels in order to be able to properly level your pool prior to Winter closing. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/146-closing-an-in-ground-pool

From what the strips are showing prior to closing If we were to "Pretend the levels are correct" which is highly unlikely, you would need to lower the pH to 7.2ppm, raise the CYA/stabilizer level to 40ppm, and add enough chlorine to bring your pool up to shock level for your current CYA level. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

(All the adjustments can be done by putting in your pool water gallons at the top of the following link, and using the Pool Math calculator http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to tell you how much of what to add to achieve those recommended closing levels).

Also when you get a chance please fill in your Signature information by going to the top right hand side of this page under the Big pool school button, and click on Settings, then look down the left side of the next page for a Bold heading that says MY SETTINGS-----> EDIT Signature. Here is a link that explains the type of info to add in your Signature. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, but please get a beneficial recommended test kit as it will be one of the best investments you can make for your pool. Once you get one of the test kits, please repost those results, so we can better assist you, and you can more independently be able to maintain your pool in the future. Again welcome to TFP, and have a wonderful day. :)

With you being Canada the only test kit you will be able to get local is the Taylor 2006. IF you are able to cross the border you can get the bigger kit TF-100. They have the same things and test the same things BUT the TF-100 can do more tests.

Kim

Welcome to TFP, code9.

Just so you know, its possible the black wormy things are gypsy moth larvae. I had about a zillion of them my first season after recovering a foreclosure. Then I treated the surrounding trees with pheromones bags and presto, no more gypsy moth larvae in the pool.

While its generally impossible to prevent worms, caterpillars etc. from getting in the pool, controlling pest infestations like gypsy moths does help ;)

Welcome to TFP, code9.

Just so you know, its possible the black wormy things are gypsy moth larvae. I had about a zillion of them my first season after recovering a foreclosure. Then I treated the surrounding trees with pheromones bags and presto, no more gypsy moth larvae in the pool.

While its generally impossible to prevent worms, caterpillars etc. from getting in the pool, controlling pest infestations like gypsy moths does help ;)

Think about what SW said ^^^^^^^ What is the are around the pool like? Trees, bushes, etc. take pics and maybe we will have some more ideas.

Kim

Hi code. While I suppose all black wormy things sorta look alike, those sure look like what I was dealing with. Is it kinds like a "mass" drops into the pool all at once?

Both gypsy moth pupae and forest tent caterpillars have a blackish stage and "mass."
Toronto usually sprays for gypsy moths but in recent years there have been reports of odd hatch times an infestations in Etobicoke area.

Though the time of year seems off, if those are tent caterpillar larvae or gypsy moths, treating nearby trees with BK (a biologic that's used to control caterpillars) and banding the trees are what my tree guy recommends.

You might want to dig in a little and find out what they are -- a landscaper or tree guy (or even ask the neighbors) might be able to help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.