Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light sludge...grease or algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Casselberry, FL

Pool light sludge...grease or algae?

Hey all,

Total noob question, but I'm currently replacing my pool light and when I separate the lens from the casing, I quickly realized that the casing was full of a greenish/brown sludge. It looks like grease to me, but I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would put a large amount of grease inside a pool light enclosure. My only other thought is that it might be some form of algae, but I've never seen it so concentrated like this. I've attached some pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with. Thoughts?

2015-09-26 16.05.58.jpg
    2015-09-26 15.38.54.jpg
    2015-09-26 15.39.25.jpg
    18-20k gallon in ground pool w/gunite surface
    Leslie's Crystal Clear II DE filter - DE-LE-42054 - 96gpm
    Hayward Super Pump with AO Smith UST1102 1.0HP motor

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Pool light sludge...grease or algae?

Can you wipe a bit on to white paper and perhaps then can see if its greenish or black?
    I'd assume it was algae and clean that sucker out gooooood with bleach.
    And monitor your pool chems closely for a little while in case you dropped some into the water.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Longview, Texas

I dont know why anyone would put grease in there either. But - Pool light niches are famous for harboring algae.
    That looks excessive from what Ive seen, but it could be. Grab a blob and put it in a box and let it dry out. If its algae, it will dry up like any plant will.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

When I pulled mine out last year it was similar and diff algae. Scrub it down good with bleach before installing.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!