Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2014
Lodi Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a few questions in regards to prepping my pool for the winter ... my plan is to follow the closing the pool section in pool school but have some questions on covering the pool.

1. I want to get a better pool cover than the intex cover that came with the pool, any recommendations

2. I see some people buy a cover that is larger (like purchasing a 21' cover for an 18' cover) is this necessary?

3. Is it recommended to use pool pillows or just let the cover sit on the water?

4. Should I use a pump to remove the water from the cover? and if so how often should I pump?

appreciate the help ....

I have heard of some that buy a larger tarp at Home Depot/Lowes. Then they tie either bleach bottles 3/4 full of water or sand bags onto it around the perimeter to hold it in place. I spent a little extra time with my Intex cover last week got it tight but it still dishes.
But my cover will only be on until Thanksgiving up here, then hopefully most all the leaves will be done. After that water temp should be cool enough to remove the cover, drain and close the pool. First time trying this as I usually store them indoors, biggest issue I can see is keeping most of the organics out, before it turns into a giant hockey puck.

I have much colder temps than you, the pillow is supposed to keep pressure from ice from pushing the wall out. My experience is use cover same size. I use old garden hose with siphon pump to drain cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.