Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Winter Pool cover questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Winter Pool cover questions

I have a few questions in regards to prepping my pool for the winter ... my plan is to follow the closing the pool section in pool school but have some questions on covering the pool.

1. I want to get a better pool cover than the intex cover that came with the pool, any recommendations

2. I see some people buy a cover that is larger (like purchasing a 21' cover for an 18' cover) is this necessary?

3. Is it recommended to use pool pillows or just let the cover sit on the water?

4. Should I use a pump to remove the water from the cover? and if so how often should I pump?

appreciate the help ....
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Winter Pool cover questions

anyone?
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions

3. Back To Top    #3

I have heard of some that buy a larger tarp at Home Depot/Lowes. Then they tie either bleach bottles 3/4 full of water or sand bags onto it around the perimeter to hold it in place. I spent a little extra time with my Intex cover last week got it tight but it still dishes.
    But my cover will only be on until Thanksgiving up here, then hopefully most all the leaves will be done. After that water temp should be cool enough to remove the cover, drain and close the pool. First time trying this as I usually store them indoors, biggest issue I can see is keeping most of the organics out, before it turns into a giant hockey puck.
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

I have much colder temps than you, the pillow is supposed to keep pressure from ice from pushing the wall out. My experience is use cover same size. I use old garden hose with siphon pump to drain cover.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale