pjl - closing

pjl

Sep 26, 2015
Reisterstown, MD
Let me first say that this is an exceptional resource and I thank all who are responsible. So my situation is similar to Chris in that I have a bit of algae at the bottom of my 24k in ground colored plaster pool. I was going to leave it until next season as I drain my pool down below returns here in Maryland and I will not send chlorinated water in to the beautiful forest that surrounds my yard. Had the water tested today and realized it's best to kill the beast now(algae) so I will slam and wait for TC/FC to drop. Once drained I add a winterizer kit and stir then cover. Test results:
CYA: 65
TC/FC: 0.4/0.4
PH: 7.6
TA: 110
Adj. TA: 90 (not sure what adjusted TA means but it's on the list and I thought it may be important)
Tot. Hardness: 204

So my questions are: 1)Do I have to make adjustments to these levels because the pool store is telling me to bring my TA up?
2) Do I use the $30 winterizing kit(shock and algacide) or can I just add bleach and stir when drained? If so how much? To SLAM level?
Thanks!

pjl - Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Don't put your question under another's question (hi-jack).....the conversation can get quickly confusing. I added your own new thread so your questions can get answered.

How will you SLAM your pool without doing your own testing?

pjl, welcome to TFP. Duraleigh's question about testing is priority #1. Please see the TF-100 link in my signature. It's a must for any pool owner. But to answer your two questions specifically:
1 - Yes, you do need to make adjustments (see below)
2 - Don't waste money on a specific pool store winterizing kit. Follow the TFP Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool page (for AG pools) and you'll be fine.

If we were to assume those test results above were good (we don't have faith in pool store tests):
- Your CYA is fine for now
- TA is fine
- pH could be slightly lower, better to be between 7.2-7.4
- CH is fine
- FC (free chlorine) and CC (combined chlorine - trash) is what we care about; the FC is very low right now which is why you've had algae. Your CYA of 65 (rounded to 70) means your FC should be at about 8 on a normal day. With algae, you'll need to SLAM (link below) and that requires and FC of 28!

So you can see, a few things to work-out first. Review what we've provided and let us know how you would like to proceed. We're here to help if you're willing to get the test kit and do the SLAM. Have a nice day.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.