Best Route

OK...Im looking for some direction!

I never touched anything in my pool this year so basically it was a pond the whole year.

Of course, the water thats in it is dark as can be and with the snow coming soon, Im wondering if I should bother spending time to try and clear up the water to crystal clear now or just cut my losses and remove as much debris from the pool as I can and attacked it next spring?

Its a 24' above ground pool BTW

Any positive assistance is appreciated!
Geoff

Hi Geoff. Well, your timing may not be the best to try and tackle the water, but it can be done it you're willing to do it. You will need two things:
- At TF-100 test kit (link below)
- And need to follow the SLAM instructions via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. You need the TF-100 to SLAM. :)

So, check-out those links and let us know. If my calculation are correct, your pool is only about 4600 gallons. You may just be better off draining (down to a foot or so) and starting fresh next year. If you want to SLAM the pool now though, you can get the test kit and be ready to spend a few days (maybe 1-2 weeks) clearing the water, but it can be done.

Either way, we'll be here to help. :)

Sorry for not following the form rules...I have updated my signature with all the details.

One of the problems is the TF-100 test kits are not easy to find in Canada so I normally use one of the pool companies as a place to test my water and get a report from them.

At this point Im thinking Ill just clean it the best I can this year and drain it down to a foot and start again new next year...or will not doing anything have any potential harm to the liner?

Thanks again!

Sorry for not following the form rules...I have updated my signature with all the details.

One of the problems is the TF-100 test kits are not easy to find in Canada so I normally use one of the pool companies as a place to test my water and get a report from them.

At this point Im thinking Ill just clean it the best I can this year and drain it down to a foot and start again new next year...or will not doing anything have any potential harm to the liner?

Thanks again!

You may want to leave more than a foot of water in the pool. You don't want to drain it too low and have the liner shift or wrinkle on you. I'm not an AGP person so I can't really advise on how much water is safe to remove but I would suspect you could leave half of it in the pool. I guess it also depends on how much snow melt and rain water you expect it to accumulate.

Will you have a solid cover on it or a mesh cover?

When you open in the spring time, your job of clearing it up will be made much easier if you get to clearing it BEFORE the water temperature rises above 60F. You can kill algae much quicker that way as the algae reproduction rates to crash at about 59F.

As for a good test kit, I know it's hard to find them in Canada. Lowry and Associates have a lock on the distribution of Taylor Technologies products in Canada and they gouge the market price-wise because of the monopoly they are allowed to have. It's really sad, annoying and frustrating. Unfortunately, Moncton looks pretty far from Maine so I'm guessing a trip into the USA for a vacation and a pickup of a K-2006 or TF-100 is out of the question?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.