Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Valve Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Valve Question

New Owner
    Initial thread with pool pic here New Owner

I have a question about the filter valve. The sticker that shows what each position is has dryrotted and is almost completely unreadable. I can't seem to find any model number on it and need to know what each of the positions is. I have been running it to help get some of the plastic off the top of the water and have apparently been slowly pumping water out the back-flush pipe at the same time. I did not know as the back-flush pipe goes underground then into a pond about 50 yards away.

I tried having my son look at the pipe as it comes out of the ground and tell me when water stopped coming out but as the level was low the skimmer kept getting sucked dry and he would say water stopped coming out when i had not changed the valve at all. I'm sure I will figure out which position just sends the water back into the pool after adding water and with trial and error but it would be nice to know what all the positions on the valve are.

Pool: In-ground, Kidney Shaped, Unknown Size, Sand Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Valve Question

That looks like a Hayward Vari Flo XL multi port
    I dont know if all Vari Flo's model use the same position for each function, but here is a pic of one that you can read

Hayward SP0714T-3.jpg
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks.

So it looks like it has the following settings

Filter
    Waste
    Winter
    Closed
    Backwash
    Recirculate
    Rinse

Closed, Filter and backwash seem pretty self explanatory. What would the others be used for? The valve assembly has one input and two outputs if that makes any difference

4. Back To Top    #4

The three ports are in, out, and waste.

In comes from the skimmers and main drain (if equipped) via the pump
    Out goes to the returns in the pool
    Waste dumps out into a sewer or out to a bare patch of ground somewhere or into a backwash hose.

Filter: In>filter>out
    Waste: In>waste. No filtration at all
    Winter: Ports all blocked except waste so it drains and doesn't freeze up and break
    Closed: Everything blocked. Say your water level is above the top of the filter and you want to open the filter to clean it.
    Backwash: In>through the filter backwards>waste
    Recirculate: In>Out. Bypasses filter
    Rinse: In>filter>waste. To settle the sand after backwashing and get any stray material out of the plumbing so it doesn't blow back into the pool
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the "Winter" position, the diverter is lifted above the bottom so that all ports drain. No ports are blocked.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The three ports are in, out, and waste.

In comes from the skimmers and main drain (if equipped) via the pump
    Out goes to the returns in the pool
    Waste dumps out into a sewer or out to a bare patch of ground somewhere or into a backwash hose.

Filter: In>filter>out
    Waste: In>waste. No filtration at all
    Winter: Ports all blocked except waste so it drains and doesn't freeze up and break
    Closed: Everything blocked. Say your water level is above the top of the filter and you want to open the filter to clean it.
    Backwash: In>through the filter backwards>waste
    Recirculate: In>Out. Bypasses filter
    Rinse: In>filter>waste. To settle the sand after backwashing and get any stray material out of the plumbing so it doesn't blow back into the pool

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    In the "Winter" position, the diverter is lifted above the bottom so that all ports drain. No ports are blocked.
    Thanks,

Where is the best place to get a replacement sticker?

7. Back To Top    #7

So there is no position where it would be coming out both the out and waste ports? Because I'm pretty sure that is what I have going on now. If that is the case does it mean that the whole valve assembly needs replaced or is it likely just a single part in the filter assembly?

8. Back To Top    #8

I would suggest getting part number SPX0714BA. That will give you a new top with a label and a new diverter with integrated gasket.

Just remove the screws, pull out the old assembly by the handle and install the new part and resecure with the screws.

The screws are self tapping. To avoid stripping the plastic when reinstalling the screws, slowly rotate the screw backwards until it drops into the threads and then rotate clockwise.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Hi Private message me your address and I will send you a new sticker for the SP0714 valve.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com