It happens to anyone...

JVTrain

TFP Expert
Feb 3, 2014
Central Minnesota
So I have been in cruise control mode with my pool. Temps down to low 70s, solar cover on nearly all the time to limit chlorine losses. No swimming going on with school, activities and lower temps. Checking every couple days on the FC. CYA is down to 30 after starting summer at 40. Been bumping FC up to 6 when I test, usually lasts 3 days before I have to dose again. Hadn't tested/dosed since Tuesday night and haven't run the robot or brushed since then either :thumbdown: so over lunch today I decided to roll off the solar cover and check things out as leaves are starting to blow onto the cover and a bit in the pool, especially the uncovered end step area.

Before I take the cover off, I look at the ladder and on the top rung still in the water, a bulge of yellow-green mass is showing where the rung meets the side rail. :oops: I give it a closer look and it's algae for sure. Peek under the cover and I have some small drifts on the slope down to the deep end and a few in the shallow end on the same side as the ladder. Panic sets in :bounce: but I deserved it. Then I find the reason why things probably got out of hand... a dead mouse floating under the solar cover in the deep end and smelling not so fresh... :puker:

Brought the FC up to 14 ppm from 1.5, brushed the heck out of the ladder and algae drifts and threw in the robot. Back to work.

Just checked the FC again and after 8 hours uncovered, lots of sun, albeit low angle fall sun here now, FC down to only 13. Think I caught things pretty early.

OCLT tonight.

A good reminder to test frequently and stay on top of testing and potential critter invasions this time of year.

I have a swg, and I've been super lazy testing. Like once in the last 2-3 weeks. Still dead on, and beautiful. Too bad it's cold. It warmed back up to 75 a couple days ago, and I couldn't resist one more last swim. It was a little chilly at first, but awesome. I have to find the some solar money next year. I just have to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a chipmunk AND a mouse on Thurs!
The still-warm water seems too tempting -- water is still being heated as son (24) is having his annual birthday shindig tonight and no matter how cold the air gets, Fireball will make 'em brave! ;)

The upside of the crazy heat bill is that I had a lovely swim last night!

I had a scare earlier this week. The dog on the "on" timer for my SWG came loose. Luckily my FC was high because water temps are lower, but it was down to 3. Another day or two and it would have been SLAM time!

Solar is awesome! Still swimming every day!

Don't worry...we're here for you. Be sure to read Pool School and how to SLAM. Also, please post a recent full suite of tests.

;)

I used to find 'floating masses' in the attached spa that I would attempt to keep empty over the winter (when it used to rain out here) and every spring, I'd find 'floating masses' of something that got in there and died. I never bothered to try and figure it out but likely was frogs or newts or salamanders...something soft. We do have an enormous oak tree that is the Holiday Inn for squirrels but so far, dead squirrels have only been found in the yard and not pool!

OCLT Friday night was a 1 ppm loss. Not too bad. FC was at 9.5 ppm Saturday afternoon and the kids actually swam! 72 degree water but it was a warm, sunny day around 80.

Saturday night was 0.5 ppm loss. Pretty good. The very faint haze that I could only see because I know what CRYSTAL clear water looks like is also gone for sure. Have not had measurable CC yet. Letting FC levels come down and now it's a race to get the pool below 60. Temps are going to be maybe 60 for a high over the next week and lows in the low 40s.

No more mice and since I'll be leaving the solar cover off to help things cool quicker, I'll see those buggers if they do decide to take a plunge. It was a quick SLAM for sure. Happy it was so I can close soon with a clean pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.