So I have been in cruise control mode with my pool. Temps down to low 70s, solar cover on nearly all the time to limit chlorine losses. No swimming going on with school, activities and lower temps. Checking every couple days on the FC. CYA is down to 30 after starting summer at 40. Been bumping FC up to 6 when I test, usually lasts 3 days before I have to dose again. Hadn't tested/dosed since Tuesday night and haven't run the robot or brushed since then either so over lunch today I decided to roll off the solar cover and check things out as leaves are starting to blow onto the cover and a bit in the pool, especially the uncovered end step area.
Before I take the cover off, I look at the ladder and on the top rung still in the water, a bulge of yellow-green mass is showing where the rung meets the side rail. I give it a closer look and it's algae for sure. Peek under the cover and I have some small drifts on the slope down to the deep end and a few in the shallow end on the same side as the ladder. Panic sets in but I deserved it. Then I find the reason why things probably got out of hand... a dead mouse floating under the solar cover in the deep end and smelling not so fresh...
Brought the FC up to 14 ppm from 1.5, brushed the heck out of the ladder and algae drifts and threw in the robot. Back to work.
Just checked the FC again and after 8 hours uncovered, lots of sun, albeit low angle fall sun here now, FC down to only 13. Think I caught things pretty early.
A good reminder to test frequently and stay on top of testing and potential critter invasions this time of year.