Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing ??s

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing ??s

For those of you who close down and cover your pools..what do they look like when you open them in the spring?
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Closing ??s

I open my pool 1 month early from the summer. While the water is a little dirty from the winter, it clears up very quickly, within 12 hours. And my pool is closed pretty early in the season. Anywhere from September 15th until September 30th. The key is to close properly and open a little early. When you do that, the pump only needs to run a few hours per day and you have minimum chlorine consumption.

My pool is covered with a regular cover. If you have a mesh cover and wait until the 1st holiday weekend, you run the risk of opening up to a green pool. It is common with mesh covers (at least the people I know). Sometimes, they place a solid cover on top of the mesh (safety cover). The longer you wait to close and the earlier you open, the less problems you will incur.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

3. Back To Top    #3

I am waaaay North of you. I close and open with pool temps below 60 degrees. Close balanced and at shock level. Open balanced and crystal clear with a few random leaves and worms. Eeeewwww

4. Back To Top    #4

Closing ??s

Quote Originally Posted by wjaneala View Post
    For those of you who close down and cover your pools..what do they look like when you open them in the spring?
    Like this.
    I closed it November 6th, and opened it April 1st. I closed it when the water was around 50, and opened it when I couldn't stand not seeing it anymore. When I don't see water I feel like my soul is drying up. Like the feeling when you've been at the beach all week, you go home, and you don't have any water around. Maybe it's just me. I love water, especially the crystal clear kind.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Totally get it. That must be closing; I don't see any worms! Eeeeeewwwww!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Totally get it. That must be closing; I don't see any worms! Eeeeeewwwww!!!
    No sir, that was opening day! There were several hundred worms. The Polaris grabbed every one of them for me. I just had to empty that stinky bag.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Eeeeeewwwww!

I scoop them up in Spring so that their guts don't break apart and become floaties or accidental mouth fodder. Eeeeeewwwww! Eeeeewwwwww! Eeeeeeeewwwwwwww!!!

And it's Ma'am to you, sir!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Eeeeeewwwww!

I scoop them up in Spring so that their guts don't break apart and become floaties or accidental mouth fodder. Eeeeeewwwww! Eeeeewwwwww! Eeeeeeeewwwwwwww!!!

And it's Ma'am to you, sir!
    Oops. Guess I should re-read who I'm replying to before I reply. Yeah, worm guts for breakfast isn't my idea of fun.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the replies. So, during the winter, when your pool is closed and covered, you do NOTHING to the water, correct? Not til opening day?
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Nothing but pump water off my solid cover. I bring fc to shock level, lower the water a couple inches below the skimmers, blow out all lines, add antifreeze to the lines, and cover. My fc was still 6 or 7 when I opened it this spring.

11. Back To Top    #11

Wendy
    TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Some people will sneak in chemicals over the winter. I don't, but I also know that here in IL, my temps are below 60. In AL? Not so sure.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Luckily, in the spring I have no worms. Last year, my pool was closed September 15th and opened April 26th. (Looked back at sheet). One gallon of 12.5% and 8 hours later, the water was crystal clear. Next day I vacuumed and everything was perfect. This year, I closed September 24th and will open up around the same time next year.

I believe if the pool is closed properly, opening up the pool when the weather is cool that makes a difference. That week (April 26th), the average day temperature's were 66*, while night temperatures were probably still in the 50*'s. This probably helped. My friend waited until one month later. When we opened up his pool (mesh safety cover), it was a green mess. Good news is at a CYA of 30, the SLAM took 2 weeks. Testing and additions were only done daily and if we waited another few weeks, the pool would have been a real mess. This year, we are opening up the pool a little earlier.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

14. Back To Top    #14

+1 on closing cold, opening cold for clear water. For me, that's Oct. 20 close and Apr. 20 opening and so far I've always opened clean with FC residual of about 4.

But the last few weeks of chasing leaves in Oct. is always a riot
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

15. Back To Top    #15

I use April 15 as my guide. I figure something good needs to happen to counter-balance tax day, and what's better than opening a clear pool?!?!