Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump humming

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump humming

Hello, I have a Intex sand filter, (SF101101), and it makes a humming noise instead of running. I have read through some forums and understand it might be my start capacitor. Does anyone here know where to buy one online? or a part number? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump humming

Hello and welcome to TFP! I was trying to help, but couldn't pinpoint that part. Is your set-up like the Intex pump & filter combos when the filter and pump are basically together? Like this for example: 14 Sanitation - Pool Accessories - Above Ground Pools - Store - Intex The parts listing for these only went as far down as replacing the whole motor. But if this is not your type of set-up, is there any chance there is another part number on the equipment or motor itself that may help us search a little better?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to pull the cap out, test it best you can, and then either search online or go to a motor repair place or large appliance store and see if they can match up a new cap for you. They can also verify if it is bad, too, most likely.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    You need to pull the cap out, test it best you can, and then either search online or go to a motor repair place or large appliance store and see if they can match up a new cap for you. They can also verify if it is bad, too, most likely.
    I took off the top, 4 small screws, by the on/off/timer button, all I saw were wires and circuit board. Do you know where the start cap. is on the motor? Thanks!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Does your motor have a hump on it? A picture or two could prove very helpful here...

Some motors have the capacitor hiding inside the end where the wires go.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

A Pump1.jpg

Here is the picture, I had the top lid off, and saw a bunch of wires. Thanks for your help.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I hate to say it, but I can't find any useful information about that model. Hopefully someone else will be able to help with this one.

Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir