HELP, pump ran dry!

RJH311

Sep 25, 2015
Metairie/LA
Well, I'm gone for work for a few days and naturally my wife did not check the level of the pool water and let the water get below the skimmers. Last night the water level was fine, but coming home from work today she found the level below the skimmers and the pump running dry. I say running dry, but it may be something a little different. The main drain was obviously still under water, but with the skimmers above the water level the pump surges and goes through maybe 30sec to 1 min long cycles of the pump filling and operating correctly then backing off and pressure in the filter dropping for 30 seconds or so and the pump running "dry". I've seen this happen with the water level low in the skimmers and the intake in the skimmers not able to keep up with the pump, but never had the level below the pump. As soon as she told me what was happening I had her shut the pump off without waiting to see if the previously described surge was happening. After adding some water to the pool and turning the pump on for a test, it looks like the filter pressure is has gone from 18psi to 16psi. My question is, Have a screwed anything up? Is my pump ok? I've only been living in this house for a month and i'm still getting used to taking care of a pool. HELP!

You may be ok. Does the pump start up and run as it did before this incident? No loud or new noises? No leaks at the pump? Good flow through the returns?

I wouldn't worry about the filter unless it is leaking or discharging DE back into the pool. Have the pump run a little while and the pressure will probably go back up.

The main thing that happens to a pump running dry is the wet end can overheat and seals gets destroyed and the plastics in the wet end might go out of shape thus leading to leaks. If the leaks aren't caught soon enough, then that can lead to water getting to the motor and bearings get destroyed among other things. Just keep an eye out for leaks around the pump and if you see any, plan on getting the seals replaced and hopefully that will fix the leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.