Liquidator flow issue

Jun 8, 2014
Casselberry, FL
Hey all,

So I've had my liquidator for about a month and it's been working fine for the most part...but just recently, it stopped taking in water and now there isn't enough water in the tank to keep the Out float open. The only thing that's changed is that I have a pretty bad leak underneath my pump which I assume is coming from the shaft seal. Is that type of leak enough to bork up the Liquidator flow and will this be resolved once I address the leak, or should I be looking for another issue entirely?

I would think that if you have enough pressure to return water to the pool, then it would be enough pressure to push flow through the in-flow line of the Liquidator, but it maybe dependant on where the tap is. Could be that there isn't enough pressure to open the check valve. Check both in-flow line's check valve and shut off valve for blockage. Try taking off the in-flow at the return plumbing tap and see if water is being pushed out. If you get water, then try connecting a line directly to the Liquidator without the check valve.

What was the filter pressure before and now?
How is the flow volume out of the return(s) compared to when it was working?

If the flow and pressure is low enough there won't be enough flow into the LQ to keep it full.

Turns out that it was the in-line check valve. When I disconnected and reconnected the line, the flow started up again just fine. After about a week of it working, today I noticed that it was flowing at about half rate again, so this time I removed the check valve entirely, connected the line directly to the LQ and my flow was back to full. Obviously w/o the check valve there though, I'm now seeing the LQ lose water when the pump is turned off. Are there any concerns I should be aware of because of that, or is it basically harmless?

I've been meaning to follow up on this for some further advice, but just haven't gotten around to it. After removing the inlet side check valve, I began to notice that I'm getting a lot of DE draining back into the pool after the pump shuts off. Is there something I can do to avoid this from happening or do I basically have to just reinstall the check valve and find a different solution for my flow issue?

Try soaking the check valve in a 50/50 muratic acid/water mixture for an hour. Wash off with water, shake or blow out, and reinstall. If DE is still getting into the pool, you may have a filter grid that has a tear or a totally bad check valve. You could always plug the Liquidator lines temporarily for a test. My DE filter grids typically last 8 to 10 years. and when one goes bad, I get DE in my pool. It is most notable when the pump shuts off and seen at the drain.

I think the check valves are somewhat poor on the Liquidator. I get some drop in my level too, but no DE in the pool and the tub refills and begins working fine after 15 minutes from the time the pump starts up in the morning.

Try soaking the check valve in a 50/50 muratic acid/water mixture for an hour. Wash off with water, shake or blow out, and reinstall. If DE is still getting into the pool, you may have a filter grid that has a tear or a totally bad check valve. You could always plug the Liquidator lines temporarily for a test. My DE filter grids typically last 8 to 10 years. and when one goes bad, I get DE in my pool. It is most notable when the pump shuts off and seen at the drain.

I think the check valves are somewhat poor on the Liquidator. I get some drop in my level too, but no DE in the pool and the tub refills and begins working fine after 15 minutes from the time the pump starts up in the morning.

Thanks for the tip...out of curiosity, when I try to blow through the check valve, shouldn't the air flow through in the direction of the arrow and resist going the other way? The air doesn't seem to flow in either direction when I blow into it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.