Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High chlorine demand

1. Back To Top    #1

High chlorine demand

For about the past six weeks my chlorine demand has been slowly going up. Every time I test my water I have been having to add chlorine on top of what my Stenner is adding to keep it in range. Earlier this year I had to SLAM because I went away for five days and left the Stenner turned off. So, I figured something was hanging around from that. Well, I'm at Walt Disney World right now and before I left I figured I'd be SLAMing when I get back.

But, just as I was wrapping g things up to go I noticed the level in my Stenner tank has not changed for a couple of days.....

As it turns out, no high chlorine demand - the tube in the Stenner was slowly going bad. I changed the tube and its no more manual additions of chlorine!!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: High chlorine demand

Good find! Something to keep in mind with stenner members for sure.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Now you can spend time with Mickey with nothing pool-related on your mind. It's always a good feeling when one of those annoying mysteries is finally solved. Enjoy your trip!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well I arrived home today after my visit to Mickey and his picking my pockets.....

I was unsure of what my FC would be when I got home as I replaced the tube and guessed on pump run time and Stenner setting. Well, it appears I have been SLAMing my pool for a couple of days. FC sitting right at shock level.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Better than no FC I suppose. Always good to be home. Even with empty pockets.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Well I arrived home today after my visit to Mickey and his picking my pockets.....

I was unsure of what my FC would be when I got home as I replaced the tube and guessed on pump run time and Stenner setting. Well, it appears I have been SLAMing my pool for a couple of days. FC sitting right at shock level.
    My neighbor, who has two girls ages 10 &6, just came back from a 2-week trip to the Rat Kingdom....he told me it's all rice & beans for dinner for the foreseeable future

We go to LegoLand and, what it costs us for 3-4 days there apparently wouldn't even quite make the entry fee for DisneyLand...I can only imagine how much more it costs to go to Disney World So I say NYET! to Disney!!

Good to hear your pool is still sparkly!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    We go to LegoLand and, what it costs us for 3-4 days there apparently wouldn't even quite make the entry fee for DisneyLand...I can only imagine how much more it costs to go to Disney World So I say NYET! to Disney!!
    It is an amazing place. I stopped counting my trips there when I passed 100, and that was years ago.

It can be expensive, but the experience is worth it. There are tricks to,saving money, but with park admission in the $100 range per person/per day it adds up quickly. As with anything, there are tricks to save....

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

And some folks know some folks who have an in...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir