small debris in pipes?

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
My deck paint is chipping off and thanks to the wind small debris get in to the pool. I was curious if I something got in bottom drain pipes, but pump bucket didn't have anything. I shut off skimmers and turned the pump on. Sure enough, I got some small ones in the pump bucket. Now I wonder if pump is strong enough to get them all from the bottom drains. Is there a way to cover one of the bottom drains, so I get more pressure from the 2nd one?

Also, what are the chances of having small particles pass through cartridge filter and get stuck in the heater?

I use air compressor when I close my pool, but one time when cyclone blower was used I had rubber plug washer shooting out from one of the skimmers.

Is cyclone blower a good way to try clear the bottom drains? Also, even with cyclone, the closest bottom drain was bubbling well, but the 2nd barely had any bubbles coming out.
Is there any other way to check if the bottom drain is slightly clogged? What should the pressure gauge show if I had this issue?

(My pressure gauge is currently broken so as the housing it's in. So, currently I don't have the readings. My filter always stayed relatively clean throughout the season, so I only wash it when I close the pool)

Thanks

Most cartridge filters will catch anything 1 micron or larger so that should be quite sufficient for paint chips.

You could brush the debris closer to the MD with the most suction and see if that works.

I am not familiar with cyclone blowers but I get the gist of them. There are many ways to check for clogged pipes: run a hose turn on down the pipe, electrician's tape, plumber's snake.

I recommend the nice glycerin-filled gauge that tftestkits.net sells. It is a really nice gauge for a good price.

You could brush the debris closer to the MD with the most suction and see if that works.

that is what I am afraid to do - I'm afraid the pump is not strong enough to lift up the debris from bottom drain pipes.
that's why I wonder if there is a way to temporarily seal one on the bottom drains hoping the suction will be stronger this way

Also I wonder if using cyclone blower would blow debris out of the pipes back in the pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.