Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Pool Nerd in Me made me do it.....

1. Back To Top    #1

The Pool Nerd in Me made me do it.....

The wife thinks my pool chemistry-toy habits are in need of an intervention....but I just HAD to have it -

I told her I bought it because I love her and only want the very best pool for her and the kids to swim in....apparently she would prefer I save up and buy her the sparkly tennis bracelet instead

PS - To all my fellow testing nerds, two things - (1) it dispenses slightly more powder than two scoops from the blue spoon so it uses powder reagent a little quicker, and (2) it only fits powder bottles that are supplied by Taylor (like the one in the photo). Unfortunately it will not work with the standard bottle found in the TF-100's.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Pool Nerd in Me made me do it.....

I use the TF-100, so I can't take advantage of the dispenser, but my "tackle box" is just a bit nerdy as well. I think most of us here are when it comes to testing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Why do you use two scoops per test? I am using one scoop only for every test..
    Should I be using two scoops?
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

1 heaping scoop is what I use for each test. More than sufficient for the 10 mL FC test. As long as you have a little undissolved R-0870 in the sample when it's mixed, that's enough.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

My advice is try it both ways and decide what you think. The 'official' instructions say 2. Most folks find that 1 heaping works fine.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Either one heaping scoop or two level scoops are appropriate
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

You have to test it for your specific testing regime. Some can get away with one big scoop, others do it with two. It is important to know this - the test works correctly when the indicator dye is over saturated relative to the chlorine. The test will be off if you don't get all of the chlorine bound to the DPD indicator.

I have lots of powder and I test all the time so I'm not stingy with reagent.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Guess I need to "HEAP" up a little more then!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Is that an ancient washing machine in the background there?
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I just bought one...what does that make me?

I've always felt a little odd holding that microscopic spoon
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    Is that an ancient washing machine in the background there?
    It's actually a high efficiency low water use Maytag BravoXL (no agitator). Works much better than the piece of junk LG front loader that came with the house, uses less water and can wash my California king size comforter with ease. I will never buy a front loading washing machine as the MTBF rates of the rotary shafts are abysmal compared to top loaders. I have owned this machine for three (3) so far and it has never needed anything on it serviced.

But I'm not tooting my horn or anything

Matt

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    It's actually a high efficiency low water use Maytag BravoXL (no agitator). Works much better than the piece of junk LG front loader that came with the house, uses less water and can wash my California king size comforter with ease. I will never buy a front loading washing machine as the MTBF rates of the rotary shafts are abysmal compared to top loaders. I have owned this machine for three (3) so far and it has never needed anything on it serviced.

But I'm not tooting my horn or anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    THAT is my dream washing machine! Oh to be able to wash the dog and cat beds in ONE cycle! Oh and our comforter with ease! LOL

Matt I bet Mom LOVES it for all of the boy's jeans and such!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    THAT is my dream washing machine! Oh to be able to wash the dog and cat beds in ONE cycle! Oh and our comforter with ease! LOL

Matt I bet Mom LOVES it for all of the boy's jeans and such!

Kim
    Two adults + three boys = Bravo runs daily from Mon-Sat And they are not even teenagers yet!!!

Matt

14. Back To Top    #14

LOL...looked kinda old with that gold finish and a ton of buttons and such. I have a Maytag Neptune front loader. Gosh, it must be going on 14-15 years old along with its cousin gas dryer. I like Maytag but we had issues with a refrigerator that we bought right along with the washer/dryer so thumbs up on the W&D, thumbs down on the R.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    LOL...looked kinda old with that gold finish and a ton of buttons and such. I have a Maytag Neptune front loader. Gosh, it must be going on 14-15 years old along with its cousin gas dryer. I like Maytag but we had issues with a refrigerator that we bought right along with the washer/dryer so thumbs up on the W&D, thumbs down on the R.
    Yeah, I can see how it looked old school. As you see from the thread, my family and washing needs are quite high so front loaders just can't do the job for me. Plus I was happy to get rid of the LG electric dryer and buy the gas fired dryer along with the top load washer. Gas is much cheaper for me.

Good to know about the fridge!! We're probably looking at a new fridge purchase in the next couple years so I'll keep the Maytag experience in the back of my mind. Of course, if had my dreams come true, it would be a Viking or Sub-Zero fridge built in to match the cabinets....somehow dropping $15k-$20k on a fridge seems wrong to me.....

Matt

16. Back To Top    #16

I thought it was an old stereo amplifier at first glance. My wife is so annoyed by my love for chemistry. I've had to make so many apologies over the years for all of the equipment in my brewing lab. She wasn't even phased when I bought "this new awesome pool test kit" that I just had to have.
    Curtis- 20k gallon IG gunnite/plaster with hot tub/waterfall and "grotto"
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

17. Back To Top    #17

BUT I bet she LOVES the clear pool to swim in while sipping on some of your brew!!!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit