Scaling on Cool-Deck - Loss of Salt and CYA.

Aug 29, 2014
Phoenix, Az
This summer my pool has had almost zero issues with chemical balance, staining and algae. This summer in Phoenix has been some of the most consistent 115+ degree days ever recorded. I set my salt cell at 80% with a run time of 12hrs from 8pm to 8am this summer. FC at dawn (5am - 6am) 7ppm. FC at dusk around 7pm was 4ppm, which was pretty consistent through out the summer. I noticed three things happened with my pool. Scaling formed on the side of the cool-deck which is not touching the water, it is 4"-5" away from the water line. I don't know if this is from evaporation and this is salt forming on the cool deck, scaling itself due to high chlorine? The scaling itself rubs off with a wet finger so it pretty soft.

Just FYI, my pool surface is pebble-tec all the way up to the pool edge. The pool edge hangs over the pool approx. 1/2" which is concrete covered in cool-deck. There is no scaling on the waterline itself. Only above it on the cool deck.

Further testing of salt in the pool showed 3100ppm. At the close of the pool season last winter the salt was at 3600ppm. No swimming occurred during the winter time. Total CYA was at 50ppm at the close of the pool season. I assumed the CYA would potentially increase over the winter time since I use chlorine pucks with stabilizer during this time. My CYA tested this summer at 40ppm. So I lost Salt and CYA with no swimming during the winter and very little swimming this summer (maybe swam 5 times total, no more than 2 people with no splashing ).

I have no signs of a pool leak. If there is one then it is below the pool surface. Is there a way to test if I have a pool leak that is not visible due to its location? It is possible my tests were off but My Taylor 2006 kit is approx. 2 years old and the only thing original in the kit is the Chlorine powder.

It sounds like you might have a build up of salt residue on the deck. Being in the desert you should wash the deck off every now and then.

From what I got out of this post is that you are not taking your tests as often as you should. All tests should be performed at least monthly no matter how stable the pool water is. I test my pool's CYA, CH, TA, and salt once a month as those are very stable in my pool.

CYA does break down slowly from chlorine and being in the desert you should have it at 80 ppm while running a SWG.

Your measured salt levels are within the error of most tests.

I doubt if you have a pool leak, but you can search the forum on how to do a bucket test for leakage.

Evaporation only removes water from the pool. So the salt wouldn't be coming from there. Is it possible that the water can splash up there during use or maybe when the pump first turns on? I know that mine blows bubbles like crazy for a while, every time the pump kicks on.

I did some more testing the other day at around 1pm. FC was 4.6ppm, CYA was at 30ppm. I tested the salt 3 separate times with my Taylor test kit and it read 3600, 3100, and 3400pm. So I guess the salt level is good. I added a gallon of natural chemistry's liquid CYA and this morning my CYA level tested at 80ppm and then 70ppm. So I'm good there. I appreciate the help. I was confused by the CYA and Salt reading since the pool was not used really this season, so I thought the CYA and Salt levels wouldn't be affected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.