Conversion back to chlorine in progress

Jaks

Sep 6, 2015
Brenham Texas
I started thread a few weeks ago - don't know how to find it .... So...
Here goes again

above ground 15,000 gallon pool -trees around half of pool ...

Switching from Baquil to chlorine - I waited a few weeks - I ordered testing kit - started adding bleach about 2 weeks ago ... Sorry no pretty colors just dark green pool water - no photos - The swamp monster would have been at home .... Now 25+ gallons bleach later - we can see the bottom again - fairly clear - still green tint to the water.
I took test readings for the first time this am ... Felt very intimidated by the kit when it arrived... So just used blue box ...which gave me cl 5 be 10. (Pool was dark/green). I kept adding bleach. Ph between 7.8 and 7.2 ( I would add soda ash to 7.8 level)
I havent taken blue box test this week . But decided to breath deep and follow the directions for all the tests ...

But now I don't know what to do with them?

9/25/15 pool test results
011BA494-FEC5-4DCF-8706-B3B1AF2C639C@mobilenotes.apple.com

Chlorine drop
CF
33 drops x .05 = 16.5 ppmCC
4 x 0.5 = 2
TC = 18.5

Calcium hardness test (250-400)
3 x 25= 75

Total Alkalinity test (100-120)
9 x 10 = 90

CYA test (40-50)

I had added 2 cups soda ash yesterday .

Thats all all I know about adding : soda ash and bleach( we also have 3" chlorine tablets - I have two in skimmer.

Any suggestions?

04FB6C2B-6780-449A-90C3-25351D44B634@mobilenotes.apple.com
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
[/COLOR]
43FEDE2D-36F0-4471-AAA1-B48409E57A4A@mobilenotes.apple.com
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Photos didn't insert in earlier post

Here you are: Wanting to convert back to chlorine ..

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully someone with more experience doing the conversion will be along soon.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I read on the conversion article, you really don't' need to do anything but keep putting bleach in until you keep a steady amount. Some things to note: pH tests wrong when FC is above 10. So you should not be adjusting based on those readings. As far as I can tell, all you should be doing is adding bleach and testing often.

Link to the article: Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

Welcome to the forum.

Just be sure to to follow the conversion instructions exactly. You need to maintain a FC of 15ppm, the more you test and add chlorine to get to 15-17ppm the better.

Remove any chlorine tablets from the pool. The tablets will add CYA to the pool and you are not yet at that stage of the conversion.

It it is very important that you test/add chlorine often to maintain the proper FC level. Once a day testing/adding is going to prolong the conversion, especially in the early stages of the conversion.

Good luck, ask questions if you are not sure of something.

Dom

Hi Jaks,
just focus on your Chlorine Level and maintain that. Hi FC and skew the accuracy of some of the other tests, especially pH. So dont worry about balancing anything until your coversion is complete.

Its complete when
your water is clear
your CC's are .5 or less (one drop to go clear)
You pass the overnight chlorine loss test (not more than 1ppm FC lost overinight).

Also, just to mention, on the Blue Box test. Chlorine can only be measured to 5.
The scale which goes up to 10 is for testing the Bromine level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.