Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Upgrade Benefits?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Upgrade Benefits?

I currently have a StaRite 300 sqft cartridge filter, which I know now is too small for my pool. I am to the point where I need to replace my filters, and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade to a larger filter. Other than having to clean my cartridges more often, would there be any benefit to a larger filter? Would the filters themselves last longer? I can purchase replacement filters for ~$320. Looking at a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520 sqft is over $800. Not sure if I can justify the extra $500.
    33K gal L-shaped (2008) IG vinyl | AutoPilot Digital SC60 SWG | 1 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glass pump (model P2RA5E-181L) | 300 sqft Sta-Rite cartridge filter (model S7M120) | Dolphin Sprite cleaning robot | Merlin Smart Mesh winter cover

South-Central PA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Upgrade Benefits?

How has your water been? Is it staying clear?

The best thing about a bigger filter is like you said. Less time between cleaning.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Kimkats, the water is normally crystal clear, although this year I am getting a lot of silt along the bottom, which is why I think it's time to replace. I normally clean them out 2-3 times a season and everything is fine. I just wasn't sure if the cartridge life span is shortened because of that or not. Even if it is, I'm not sure it would be enough to warrant the additional cost. Just wanted to get some opinions of others, and to see if there is something else I'm missing. Thanks!
    33K gal L-shaped (2008) IG vinyl | AutoPilot Digital SC60 SWG | 1 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glass pump (model P2RA5E-181L) | 300 sqft Sta-Rite cartridge filter (model S7M120) | Dolphin Sprite cleaning robot | Merlin Smart Mesh winter cover

South-Central PA

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a similar filter as you have but my mine is a bit larger at 450 sqft (S8M150). I only clean my filters once a year and the I just replaced the first set after 16 years.

I wonder if you can simply upgrade the filters and turn your S7M120 into an S7M400 (400 sqft filter area)? The dimensions between the two that are listed in the manual show they are same size.

It might be worth a call into Sta-Rite (whom I believe was bought by Pentair) to confirm/deny this idea.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

5. Back To Top    #5

Agent99, I took your advice and contacted Pentair. They did confirm that the S7M120 and the S7M400 can interchange filters. So for about $100 or so more, I can get upgrade to 400 sqft of filter area. Thanks for the idea!

South-Central PA