Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Considering a Pentair Intelliflo Pump; Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Considering a Pentair Intelliflo Pump; Questions

Our 3 year old Whisperflo pump's bearings are just about shot....for the last 18 months, the noise from the pump has been anything but a "whisper".

The Whisperflo pump is controlled by our Easytouch panel, and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to replace this pump with an Intelliflo? Some questions that come to mind:

-- Is there additional wiring needed between the pump and the Easytouch panel, or would this be just a simple swap out?
    -- If it's a simple swap out, how does the Easytouch panel know the new pump is an Intelliflo (with settings that weren't available with the Whisperflo)
    -- Is it pretty simple to program the Intelliflo with the Easytouch panel? (Not everything is easy to program on the Easytouch).

This isn't something I'll do until next spring, as I'll be closing the pool in a couple of weeks....but I'd like to start thinking about my options now.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Considering a Pentair Intelliflo Pump; Questions

I don't know the details of this integration but I can tell you that the manual for the IntelliFlo has instructions for connecting to an EasyTouch panel. Head over to Pentair's website and download the manual.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, 99...I'll do that.

I suspect there's probably some sort of communication cable needed between the Easytouch panel and the pump that wasn't needed for the Whisperflo pump. If that's the case, I may well look into having a pool pro do the install for me.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The communication cable comes with the pump. Hooking it up is easy, but getting them working together will take exploring both manuals. I have the Intelliflow VS 011018 and I love it. But I don't have any automation, so I can't speak to that. I do have the communication cable hooked up to my solar controller, and it was a snap.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, it is an RS-485 cable that is used for communication.

Here is the link, it is on the right in a drop-down menu: http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...d-pump-430.htm
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

6. Back To Top    #6

Mhosborn,

Easy enough to do, but I'm thinking it is not as simple as a quick swap out.

Since you are using an EasyTouch to control your Whisperflo, I "assume" that the power to the pump is being turned off and on by the Pump/Filter relay (or some other relay). The Intelliflo gets constant 220 volt power from the EasyTouch and the Pump/Filter relay is not in the circuit. Some minor wiring changes would have to happen.

As other have said, the Intellfilo is controlled by a serial cable that is connected between the pump and the EasyTouch. I'm not sure if older EasyTouch units can control the Intelliflo pumps or not. (They may, I just don't know for sure) One thing you can do is go to your EasyTouch and open the control panel and select "Settings".. If the first line says "clock" and the next line says "Intellflo", then you are good to go. If not, it might make sense to contact Pentair and see if your version EasyTouch will work the way you want.

BTW.. you will love the Intellflo. If mine died today, I'd get another one tomorrow.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a Easy Touch 8 that runs both my VS pump and Whisperflow pump ( water features ). In your case you should be able to plug communication cable from new VS motor into ET8 and use same power wires from old pump to hook up new pump. I bet your Whisperflow is hooked up to the pump/filter relay already. Can you post pic of inside your ET box to show your relays and wiring.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8