Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leaky skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Boca raton Fla

Exclamation leaky skimmer

Good morning to all,
    My pool is 18x32 and love it except that I am ready to fill it with dirt and turn it into an organic garden.
    I was away this summer and when I came back,my pool guy had let my pool go down almost half way trying to determine where the leak is.
    after spending almost 2 weeks to determine the leak is inside the drain can, i got pool putty and took care of it. After filling the pool and cleaning it and got it ready to use, I determined that I have a leak in my skimmer. It looks like the bottom of my skimmer split completely off the top, leaving a 1/4 inch gap all around. So I emptied the skimmer,got some 5200 marine silicone and tried filling the gap. It was messy but I managed. I put 3 separate coats after letting each one dry for an hour, it's still leaking??
    it hasn't cured for 24 hours yet but I tested it last night and still leaking. I am ready to proceed with more coats after it cures unless some better ideas. Please help.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: leaky skimmer

Welcome to TFP!

How do you know it's still leaking? Doing a dye test in the area or just are seeing the water level drop? Does the water level keep dropping below where you have made the repair?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons