Hello from an excited Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma!!

Chief- we probably CAN do something like what you are suggesting (a GREAT idea, BTW), $$$ would be our constraint. We don't have financing yet and we have blown our budget (on paper) with all the little teaks and upgrades. I really need to quit looking at all the expensive, pretty shiny things that I can not afford, like fire bowls, sparkly shells, rock walls, etc. But it's so hard! I turn 50 next month and this is my one shot at a pool, so I'm trying to make it something I'm content with and not disappointed that I didn't do A,B,C,or D but I also don't want to be "pool broke". Hubs is not a handy-paver deck building guy, so we would need to hire it out. Maybe a project for down the road. Right now he thinks he wants to keep that open for "playing yard games".
Our spa is 7x7 also. Our tanning ledge is just 4' I'd like to extend our pool out more, maybe

- - - Updated - - -

Foxy- I think we are going to do plain (I think). I believe we can stain it down the line if we want... Our PB discouraged us from doing Kool deck because it chips and has to be redone down the road. He said the salt deck doesn't get "too hot", whatever that means.

Hi Kim! Thanks for stopping by!
No REAL progress yet. I'm waiting for the credit union to call ANY TIME NOW to set up closing for our refi. I wanted to have this done yesterday or today, so I can buy a car tomorrow and then try to get our financing in place next week or the week after. It's hard waiting on other people!!

Re deck finishes, if you look at the pictures of my pool, what you see is a ten year old textured acrylic finished (AKA spray deck) concrete deck. It looks a lot like CoolDeck but is non porous and much more durable. Shortly after those pictures were taken I put a new color top coat on and it looks even better than new. I don't know how it would hold up to extreme freeze thaw cycles, but it holds up well to extreme heat. It is important to keep it well sealed, so moisture can't get under the coating.

We avoided all the "whistles and buzzers" and put the money into the pool itself. No automation system, waterfalls, etc. If we had been pushed to cut even more the next thing to go would have been the spa. In my opinion a VS pump and SWG are both necessities. A Variable Speed pump will pay for itself and a SWG makes managing the pool so much easier.

My thought on using pavers on the back side for pool deck was that it would allow you to move the back edge of the pool right up to the easement line. That would allow for either a wider pool or adding more deck space on the house side of the pool, where it will be more useable.

Frustrating news today... I called our CU to see when we are closing (we were told it would happen this week) since we had not heard from them yet. Well, it turns out that our previous mortgage holder did not file/release the title properly, so now we are held up waiting for them to fix this. We need to close by next Friday or we lose our rate. we can't move forward on anything until this is wrapped up.

- - - Updated - - -

Foxy- I think we are going to do plain (I think). I believe we can stain it down the line if we want... Our PB discouraged us from doing Kool deck because it chips and has to be redone down the road. He said the salt deck doesn't get "too hot", whatever that means.

I do believe that would be the same temperature as regular concrete, but it may feel a little cooler due to the texture.

Frustrating news today... I called our CU to see when we are closing (we were told it would happen this week) since we had not heard from them yet. Well, it turns out that our previous mortgage holder did not file/release the title properly, so now we are held up waiting for them to fix this. We need to close by next Friday or we lose our rate. we can't move forward on anything until this is wrapped up.
I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that hopefully everything works out fine, and that you get to close on time. Keep us posted. Have a wonderful night :)

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that hopefully everything works out fine, and that you get to close on time. Keep us posted. Have a wonderful night :)

Thank you! It's actually worse than we thought... The title was never filed so it shows an outstanding lien. Thankfully, I have all our important paperwork handy and was able to find what the CU needs to prove the lien doesn't exist. I just wish they had told me the whole story on Monday. They could have had the paperwork then and we could be 2 days further down the road.
I'm practicing my patience :brickwall:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you, Crackerjack4u! I wish I could just do all of this for them! I don't think they know they are holding up my dreams!! Lol!
in the meantime, I'm reading and learning like crazy and drooling over everyone else's builds!

Yes, they do have a tendency to drag their feet sometimes, which I'm sure is very annoying on your part during the waiting. Just continue to light a fire under them as often as possible to try to speed them up if you can. Great to hear you're gaining so much knowledge while waiting, and you are correct there are some very beautiful builds on here for sure. It won't be long before you can start your own beautiful build, and giving everyone yet one more beautiful pool to drool over. :) Have a wonderful day, and good luck on getting everything resolved quickly. :)

OH nini we have SO much to teach you!!!

Now if you really want to get a head start on your learning go ahead and order your test kit. Look in my siggy for the ones we use and love. You can learn how to test your fill water and learning what you will need to buy and do to balance your water when the time comes!!

Kim (I bought my test kit before me pool to make sure I could really do it!)

If you do decide to purchase a test kit, do yourself a favor and buy the TF-100. It has more of the reagents you will use the most and is what the majority of the TFP members use and recommend. I also highly recommend you add a SpeedStir to your order. I waited until my second year to get one, now I don't know how I did with out it. It makes testing so much easier, quicker, and more accurate. In a list of pool related equipment the test kit is one of the cheapest, but most important items on your list. Yet many people come to this site and balk at the idea of spending $100 or so on something that is so important to maintaining your pool for years to come.

Oh BTW if you decide to become a life member of TFP you can get a discount on your test kit.

TFTestkits.net

Kim- that's a great idea! I'll see if hubs will agree to let me go ahead and get it. We are kinda at a halt on any extra spending until we finish the refi and get the car. But, the second I get the green light, I'm ordering!
Chief- That's the one I'm getting for sure! I had checked out the TF-100 and the stirrer, and already told hubs all about it. I'm sure he is a little tired of my endless pool talk :blah: I'll need to do a little sweet talk to do the lifetime member thing:angel:

I'm sorry Nursenini, but I had to LOL @ the :blah:. I just love that little smiley guy, he's hilarious. I lol every time someone uses it in their comment. I think most of our spouses may think the same thing, or at least I know mine does.

LOL! nothing to be sorry about! That smiley is PERFECT for me right now! I have just been talking ENDLESSLY about pool stuff, and constantly READING pool stuff (here), and DREAMING pool stuff. ANY conversation hubs and I have works back around to the pool.. (ie, "what else do we need from the store? Oh! and I read today that when the plaster is first sprayed we have to brush it 2-3x's /day...blah, blah, blah...") He's being very patient with me ;)

It sounds like when you get your pool built you will know what to do, and your hubby will be glad for all the knowledge you've acquired a long the way. I too get engulfed attempting to learn all I can on this site, but lol that's going to take a good long while because there is so much interesting stuff to read, and learn about.

I told Kim that I never make it through an entire thread without getting sidetracked by clicking all the other interesting links that are in them. Then I'll get engulfed in the linked info, and there will be another link for me to clink on with more awesome info. LOL It's a vicious cycle, but a very interesting, and informative one for sure.

I told Kim that I never make it through an entire thread without getting sidetracked by clicking all the other interesting links that are in them. Then I'll get engulfed in the linked info, and there will be another link for me to clink on with more awesome info. LOL It's a vicious cycle, but a very interesting, and informative one for sure.

BUT this is how you learn about EVERYthing so you can share with and help others!

nini, just make sure you get it before your pool gets water.

Kim

Hey I read your thread!!! You can look on the bright side about the bank. At least you caught the lien problem now and not right before you want to sell your house or move for some reason. At least in this circumstance it is just delaying your pool a bit and not something that might effect a life decision. Just trying to see the bright side even though I know waiting isn't easy!

I can't wait to see how your pool turns out. I am going to try to follow along the best I can!

Oh and I totally understand how you feel with your husband and the constant pool talk. My wife has had to deal with that the entire time we have been in the pool process and my pool is taking WAY longer than most!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.