Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Good Idea To SLAM Periodically ??

1. Back To Top    #1

Good Idea To SLAM Periodically ??

Easy question from the newbie ... should I SLAM my pool periodically even though my levels are good and the water is crystal clear? Or, should I only SLAM if I NEED to ?

Thanks!
    Bruce
    Bruce & Sarah
    37.5k pebble sheen pool, CCP420 cartridge filter system, No SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Good Idea To SLAM Periodically ??

Only SLAM if you need to. If you manage your water parameters the TFP way, with emphasis on the FC/CYA relationship. You should never need to slam it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you take Tums even if your stomach is not burning?

My plan is to go without ever SLAMming by paying attention to my FC, pH and CYA.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

If your water is clean and clear then a periodic SLAM makes no sense. You would simply be raising you pool water up to shock level and passing the overnight chlorine loss criterion right away. It would simply be a waste of bleach which would add unnecessary amounts of salt and lye to your pool water. You would also use more acid since a SLAM requires a drop in pH first. It's really nothing more than a waste of money, time and testing reagents.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Ten years now, never have Shocked or SLAMed my pool. It is a treatment for a problem. If you don't have the problem, you don't need the treatment
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Never SLAM but do run a OCLT about every other week in the summer just to make sure there is nothing hiding. I have always passed so may not even need to do it BUT it makes me feel good so..........LOL

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Never SLAM but do run a OCLT about every other week in the summer just to make sure there is nothing hiding. I have always passed so may not even need to do it BUT it makes me feel good so..........LOL

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Kim

+1. That's what I was thinking!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Just test and maintain. There will hopefully never be a need to SLAM. I haven't done one since switching to the TFP method.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Oops! Sounds like a bit of pool store lore still hanging around, Bruce! Hang tough...fight it...soon it'll be a distant memory....
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

10. Back To Top    #10

The OCLT is a great indicator. Do it periodically if something seems off. I will sometimes go to 15% of the cya if I suspect a risk of algae.

11. Back To Top    #11

There is debate about whether the OCLT is accurate at lower than shock level FC.... Just saying.

If you do an OCLT at maintenance levels, be sure to use the 25ml sample for greater accuracy.