Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat pump versus gas heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat pump versus gas heater

I live in the Dallas area and I am looking for opinions on heating options for my pool. I am looking to put in a small pool and spa approx 10,000 gallons total. I am wondering if a heat pump or gas heater would be more effective. Right now every pool builder I meet with states I will not be happy with a heat pump and are recommending gas heaters. I am concerned about the cost as natural gas will not stay cheap forever. However, will the heat pump do its job when it is 30 degrees outside? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Heat pump versus gas heater

Welcome to TFP!

You will not be able to heat up a spa quickly when you want to use it with a heat pump.

And I don't think they add any heat once the air gets below 50 degrees.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mandeville, Louisiana

Jblizzle hit the nail on the head. A heat pump will not heat up the spa fast enough for you to use it. I wanted a heat pump but at a cost of around $4000 I decided against it. From what I understand a heat pump can only heat a certain number of degrees above the ambient temperature and cool only a certain number of degrees below it. I am going to look at solar this year to extend our swim season just a little bit.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Ditto what the other two said...

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.

5. Back To Top    #5

I live in Pittsburgh pa and have a heat pump. I wish I had gone with a gas heater. The heat pumps are useless below 55 and even when it is 75 they are vey slow to heat the water.