Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

Household6

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have a rental house in a different state (NC). In years past we have had a pool company open, clean and close our pool at our (owner) expense because of the condition of the pool plaster. We did a refurb this spring which remedied that issue.

Two primary questions:
1. Who is responsible for opening, closing, and maintaining your pool?

2. What is the wording in your lease that covers such?

In particular, looking for info on who pays for cost of chemicals and test kit refills?

Who provides the brush, vacuum, hose, etc?

What happens if the pump dies (due to age or something freezing) or the pool is suddenly losing water?

We are considering a scenario wherein everything is the responsibility of the tenant, but if they use the TFP method, we will supply one full test kit per year, the vacuum (not automated), leaf net and brush. But what happens if when they move out the pool is a green disaster? Are they charged a fee? How much?

Whichever way your lease swings, thanks for your input and time!

I took over complete control from my landlord. They didn't even cover it with a tarp. Was left full of debris for 2 years before I moved in. They paid for everything I needed to get it back in usable condition and I've been taking care of the rest from there. I am not your typical renter though. I consider this my house. If I ever leave, it will be in much better condition then when I started. It really couldn't be worse, that's for sure. But that's another story! :)

I took over complete control from my landlord. They didn't even cover it with a tarp. Was left full of debris for 2 years before I moved in. They paid for everything I needed to get it back in usable condition and I've been taking care of the rest from there. I am not your typical renter though. I consider this my house. If I ever leave, it will be in much better condition then when I started. It really couldn't be worse, that's for sure. But that's another story! :)

We are also tenants. And, like you, treat our home as if we owned it. I wish all of tenants would have this mindset!
Could I trouble you to share with me the wording in your lease that covers this? Maybe you could snap a picture of just this paragraph and PM to me?

Household, have you considered a property mgmt company since you're in another state? I have a rental and the pm co., which is a particularly good one, not only works out those kind of maintenance issues, but also inspects periodically to enforce that property condition is maintained. Might be worth the cost in this case ;)

Swampy got me there. My place is actually leased through a PM. They've never been out here though. Used to be local but they moved to other side of ATL. So my lease was just one of their Boilerplate things. That's why most everything thing to do with the pool was handwritten add-ons.

Household, have you considered a property mgmt company since you're in another state? I have a rental and the pm co., which is a particularly good one, not only works out those kind of maintenance issues, but also inspects periodically to enforce that property condition is maintained. Might be worth the cost in this case ;)

WE HAVE A PM! They're asking ME about what we want included! Crazy, I know! Been with them for 5 years, and while there have been some hiccups, they are by FAR better than the previous company we had. And they have never had the house go vacant more than 2-3 weeks between tenants.

I think they're a bit "intimidated" as we suggested TFP. . . . this pool has been a big ole pain in the hind-end . . . don't even get me started. But if you're bored and want to read, you can search for my posts on the pool refurb and another on converting to TFP.

Lol!
If I get a chance next week, I'll see if my pm has advice for your pm ;)
My pm wouldn't even let tenants install a TV on the wall above the fireplace...and she advised me against making an exception. She's seriously bad cop, but is still spades in keeping the place occupied with great tenants.

Being out-of-state complicates your situation. If it were my current tenant and there was a pool, I'd train her and trust her and be willing to be on the hook for equipment failure, because she's totally together and on top of maintenance.

But in general, I think I'd do it this way:

1. Install swg
2. Hire pool tech to control ph and periodically report on CHEMS, balance and condition
3. Apply a pool maintenance up charge to cover cost of tech
AND (or) supply and alternate option whereby tenant can maintain instead for waived up charge so long as:
A) provide weekly report/log (eg shared googe spreadsheet) reporting FC, ph, TA, ch and Cya
B) tenant pays for CHEMS but uses owner recommended CHEMS only and
C) tenant allows periodic inspection by pm re quality of pool (eg no stains, no swamp, no disrepair)

I might also put a rider on re: tenant holding umbrella policy.

I further would not trust a tenant necessarily for opening and closing (because if something expensive goes wrong over winter, then what?), ergo would pay for pro and warrantied closing, and would cover repairs from normal wear/tear/life expectancy of equipment but would reserve an extra pool damage deposit not unlike a pet deposit.

Those are just my thoughts, but I thought I'd share. I think its a fair division of responsibility.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lol!
If I get a chance next week, I'll see if my pm has advice for your pm ;)
My pm wouldn't even let tenants install a TV on the wall above the fireplace...and she advised me against making an exception. She's seriously bad cop, but is still spades in keeping the place occupied with great tenants.

Being out-of-state complicates your situation. If it were my current tenant and there was a pool, I'd train her and trust her and be willing to be on the hook for equipment failure, because she's totally together and on top of maintenance.

But in general, I think I'd do it this way:

1. Install swg
2. Hire pool tech to control ph and periodically report on CHEMS, balance and condition
3. Apply a pool maintenance up charge to cover cost of tech
AND (or) supply and alternate option whereby tenant can maintain instead for waived up charge so long as:
A) provide weekly report/log (eg shared googe spreadsheet) reporting FC, ph, TA, ch and Cya
B) tenant pays for CHEMS but uses owner recommended CHEMS only and
C) tenant allows periodic inspection by pm re quality of pool (eg no stains, no swamp, no disrepair)

I might also put a rider on re: tenant holding umbrella policy.

I further would not trust a tenant necessarily for opening and closing (because if something expensive goes wrong over winter, then what?), ergo would pay for pro and warrantied closing, and would cover repairs from normal wear/tear/life expectancy of equipment but would reserve an extra pool damage deposit not unlike a pet deposit.

Those are just my thoughts, but I thought I'd share. I think its a fair division of responsibility.

The OP's situation is definitely less than optimal, but I think this is a gold star plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.