Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

  1. Back To Top    #1
    Household6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    291

    Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    We have a rental house in a different state (NC). In years past we have had a pool company open, clean and close our pool at our (owner) expense because of the condition of the pool plaster. We did a refurb this spring which remedied that issue.

    Two primary questions:
    1. Who is responsible for opening, closing, and maintaining your pool?

    2. What is the wording in your lease that covers such?

    In particular, looking for info on who pays for cost of chemicals and test kit refills?

    Who provides the brush, vacuum, hose, etc?

    What happens if the pump dies (due to age or something freezing) or the pool is suddenly losing water?

    We are considering a scenario wherein everything is the responsibility of the tenant, but if they use the TFP method, we will supply one full test kit per year, the vacuum (not automated), leaf net and brush. But what happens if when they move out the pool is a green disaster? Are they charged a fee? How much?

    Whichever way your lease swings, thanks for your input and time!
    20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
    Approx 35k gal
    Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
    Sand filter
    DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    aussieta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Langwarrin, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    418

    Re: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    i maintain the pool in my rental
    no tenant is going to care like you do
    has swg
    i go there every friday
    for me its easy, as 15 minutes away
    empty skimmer, vacuum, test and adjust as required
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

  3. Back To Top    #3

    TFP Guide

    pabeader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Dallas Ga
    Posts
    4,064

    Re: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    I took over complete control from my landlord. They didn't even cover it with a tarp. Was left full of debris for 2 years before I moved in. They paid for everything I needed to get it back in usable condition and I've been taking care of the rest from there. I am not your typical renter though. I consider this my house. If I ever leave, it will be in much better condition then when I started. It really couldn't be worse, that's for sure. But that's another story!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Household6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    291

    Re: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    Quote Originally Posted by aussieta View Post
    i maintain the pool in my rental
    no tenant is going to care like you do
    has swg
    i go there every friday
    for me its easy, as 15 minutes away
    empty skimmer, vacuum, test and adjust as required
    We very well may switch to SWG next year. Had I known then what I know now . . . !
    20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
    Approx 35k gal
    Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
    Sand filter
    DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Household6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    291

    Re: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    I took over complete control from my landlord. They didn't even cover it with a tarp. Was left full of debris for 2 years before I moved in. They paid for everything I needed to get it back in usable condition and I've been taking care of the rest from there. I am not your typical renter though. I consider this my house. If I ever leave, it will be in much better condition then when I started. It really couldn't be worse, that's for sure. But that's another story!
    We are also tenants. And, like you, treat our home as if we owned it. I wish all of tenants would have this mindset!
    Could I trouble you to share with me the wording in your lease that covers this? Maybe you could snap a picture of just this paragraph and PM to me?
    20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
    Approx 35k gal
    Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
    Sand filter
    DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    TFP Guide

    pabeader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Dallas Ga
    Posts
    4,064

    Re: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    All it says is that they would pay for opening. And that was a handwritten add on. The main lease doesn't even mention the pool.


    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Swampwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    3,530

    Re: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    Household, have you considered a property mgmt company since you're in another state? I have a rental and the pm co., which is a particularly good one, not only works out those kind of maintenance issues, but also inspects periodically to enforce that property condition is maintained. Might be worth the cost in this case
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

  8. Back To Top    #8

    TFP Guide

    pabeader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Dallas Ga
    Posts
    4,064

    Re: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    Swampy got me there. My place is actually leased through a PM. They've never been out here though. Used to be local but they moved to other side of ATL. So my lease was just one of their Boilerplate things. That's why most everything thing to do with the pool was handwritten add-ons.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Household6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    291

    Re: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    Household, have you considered a property mgmt company since you're in another state? I have a rental and the pm co., which is a particularly good one, not only works out those kind of maintenance issues, but also inspects periodically to enforce that property condition is maintained. Might be worth the cost in this case
    WE HAVE A PM! They're asking ME about what we want included! Crazy, I know! Been with them for 5 years, and while there have been some hiccups, they are by FAR better than the previous company we had. And they have never had the house go vacant more than 2-3 weeks between tenants.

    I think they're a bit "intimidated" as we suggested TFP. . . . this pool has been a big ole pain in the hind-end . . . don't even get me started. But if you're bored and want to read, you can search for my posts on the pool refurb and another on converting to TFP.
    20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
    Approx 35k gal
    Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
    Sand filter
    DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Swampwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    3,530

    Re: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    Lol!
    If I get a chance next week, I'll see if my pm has advice for your pm
    My pm wouldn't even let tenants install a TV on the wall above the fireplace...and she advised me against making an exception. She's seriously bad cop, but is still spades in keeping the place occupied with great tenants.

    Being out-of-state complicates your situation. If it were my current tenant and there was a pool, I'd train her and trust her and be willing to be on the hook for equipment failure, because she's totally together and on top of maintenance.

    But in general, I think I'd do it this way:

    1. Install swg
    2. Hire pool tech to control ph and periodically report on CHEMS, balance and condition
    3. Apply a pool maintenance up charge to cover cost of tech
    AND (or) supply and alternate option whereby tenant can maintain instead for waived up charge so long as:
    A) provide weekly report/log (eg shared googe spreadsheet) reporting FC, ph, TA, ch and Cya
    B) tenant pays for CHEMS but uses owner recommended CHEMS only and
    C) tenant allows periodic inspection by pm re quality of pool (eg no stains, no swamp, no disrepair)

    I might also put a rider on re: tenant holding umbrella policy.

    I further would not trust a tenant necessarily for opening and closing (because if something expensive goes wrong over winter, then what?), ergo would pay for pro and warrantied closing, and would cover repairs from normal wear/tear/life expectancy of equipment but would reserve an extra pool damage deposit not unlike a pet deposit.

    Those are just my thoughts, but I thought I'd share. I think its a fair division of responsibility.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

  11. Back To Top    #11
    n240sxguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Benton, KY
    Posts
    1,800

    Re: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    Lol!
    If I get a chance next week, I'll see if my pm has advice for your pm
    My pm wouldn't even let tenants install a TV on the wall above the fireplace...and she advised me against making an exception. She's seriously bad cop, but is still spades in keeping the place occupied with great tenants.

    Being out-of-state complicates your situation. If it were my current tenant and there was a pool, I'd train her and trust her and be willing to be on the hook for equipment failure, because she's totally together and on top of maintenance.

    But in general, I think I'd do it this way:

    1. Install swg
    2. Hire pool tech to control ph and periodically report on CHEMS, balance and condition
    3. Apply a pool maintenance up charge to cover cost of tech
    AND (or) supply and alternate option whereby tenant can maintain instead for waived up charge so long as:
    A) provide weekly report/log (eg shared googe spreadsheet) reporting FC, ph, TA, ch and Cya
    B) tenant pays for CHEMS but uses owner recommended CHEMS only and
    C) tenant allows periodic inspection by pm re quality of pool (eg no stains, no swamp, no disrepair)

    I might also put a rider on re: tenant holding umbrella policy.

    I further would not trust a tenant necessarily for opening and closing (because if something expensive goes wrong over winter, then what?), ergo would pay for pro and warrantied closing, and would cover repairs from normal wear/tear/life expectancy of equipment but would reserve an extra pool damage deposit not unlike a pet deposit.

    Those are just my thoughts, but I thought I'd share. I think its a fair division of responsibility.
    The OP's situation is definitely less than optimal, but I think this is a gold star plan.


    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    4,615

    Re: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    Pabeader, you are amazing. I had no idea you weren't a pool OWNER!

  13. Back To Top    #13

    TFP Guide

    pabeader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Dallas Ga
    Posts
    4,064

    Re: Landlords & Tenants what does your lease say?

    Thank you for that. I feel like, if I want to use it, I should maintain it. I plan to buy this place, I just need to sell me other one first.

    As far as the pool stuff goes, I read. A lot!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •