LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I read a couple posts about the irritating smell of Muriatic Acid but never noticed it. I also had difficulty lowering my PH with the acid i purchased. Looked in the Taylor Kits reference guide for adding chemicals and thought I was adding the correct amount for my size pool. Putting two and two together I noticed that the Taylor reference guide was using Muriatic Acid at 30% while the acid I purchased was only 15%. Thats why the acid I'm using isn't particularly irtitating I suppose. At half strength, I've been adding half the amount of chemical I should have. Does that make sense? Correct me if I sound a bit goofy.

Not goofy at all; makes perfect sense.

That's actually why folks here prefer the calculator on this site (http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html), as it has dropdowns next to each chemical for the concentration, and adjusts the amounts to match.

It's always good to verify the ingredients/contents of what you're putting in. In this case, putting in lower concentration than expected isn't an issue (if you test regularly, it just meant you had to add more often), putting in a higher concentration might have.

Irritation from MA can also depend on how you handle it and the direction of wind. I recently converted from pouring in to a measuring cup then the pool, to pouring it into the pool directly, after doing it in the dark one night with a headlamp and *seeing* the fumes rising from the measuring cup. I marked a stick so I can transfer 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 jug levels onto each jug, then use that to gauge.

I still dump my MA into 5-gal bucket filled 3/4ers with pool water and then dump that in while standing on the diving board in a sweeping arc.

Just pour slowly and concentrate a bit and it is no big deal to handle MA. Yeah, occasionally I'll get a blast of the fumes but that is when I'm rushing or not focusing.

VERY common! Some people buy the 15% just to help with the vapors.

Kim

In my area, HD and Lowe's sells14.5% MA for $11 for 2 gallons. Leslie's sells 30.45% MA for $13 for 2 gallons.

I haven't really noticed the difference in using either one save for the amount I use and my pool bank account. ;)

I hold my breath and wear sun glasses when dumping the nasty stuff! Don't get any on the concrete unless you like orange stains. I saw one thread that if you dump pool water on the concrete around the edge prior to where you will dump the acid if any spilling happens it won't etch.

Thanks for responding to such a newbie question. I really appreciate the time you guys take to offer your support..
Bob

I am curious as to your T/A level...as this has a direct affect on your pH.

I use the 15% as well as it seems to be the only choice in my area.

I have always had great luck using Muriatic Acid. Always use extreme caution when using this stuff as it is quite nasty. My application method is to fill a (1) gallon plant watering bucket with a spout at 50% full of water and then slowly fill with 50% acid and then slowly pour as you walk around your pool.

It works great for me as the alkaline level of the water that I use out of the ground (dedicated well for yard and pool) is about 360 ppm - which is quite high. Muriatic Acid seems to be most efficient in bringing the T/A down.

In my case - I don't even look at the pH until I am able to bring the T/A down to acceptable levels due to false readings because of the high T/A. Typically I can only get the T/A down to about 105 ppm and this gives me a consistent pH level of 7.3 - 7.4 the majority of the time - barring excessive pool usage and rain storms.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.