About to run pump first time in months....ok to prime then backwash before filter?

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
Just got my liner in yesterday. return jets & skimmer have been trimmed and refitted, filling to water line now.

The sand filter site glass has green water in it. It was clear 2 months ago when I first looked at this home
for buying.

I'm assuming the water inside the filter is green as well now (has not run since the old liner failed in june this year)

I would prefer not to have any of that enter my fresh fill.

Once I reach the pool fill line at the skimmer, can I just prime the pump basket with a bucket of water to make sure it's full, close it up, then rotate
to backwash and switch it on? (do that first to clear all the gunk out before running it on filter?)

Almost filled to the skimmer. I think I will backwash first anyways...filter has not ran since june and I don't know
when previous owner last did it.

plus I need to know what the "reset" psi is supposed to be after back washing and rinsing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh, your recommendation to just run the pump for awhile first was a better idea than backwashing first.

The filter had sat for months not being ran since the liner had failed.

When I tried to do the backwash first, I did notice something about it not quite working. There should have been a lot more water coming out the waste line.

After running the pump on filter for over 8 hours within 2 days, I did the backwash yesterday and WAY more water was coming out and the sight glass was showing brown/dirty water. After running for 3 minutes then rinsing it was nice and clear and I'm pretty sure my return jets got a big boost.

I think it needed to be running in filter like you said to at least get the water all through the clumped up sand that had been sitting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.