Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Permasalt mistake

1. Back To Top    #1

Permasalt mistake

I recently bought a 27' above the ground pool with the permanent salt system. I started reading about this after the fact and was freaked out to learn it doesn't sanitize the pool. I have a 2 and 3 year old swimming in my pool. I purchased my pool late in the season and I have been using chlorine in addition to the Permasalt products. The cooper has been high in the pool so i set the box on 2 (recommend 4)but the alkalinity has still been high. I know i need to make a change for next season cause financially it doesn't make sense. I am undecided whether to convert it back to chlorine pool or buy a saltwater generator. I have had a chlorine pool in the past and i understand how it works. But, I really want a saltwater pool however I don't know anything about saltwater hence the reason I ended up with the permanent salt system.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Permasalt mistake

Perma salt adds copper to your pool. You can do a search to find the many stories about it. We can help you help your pool.

Let us know if you are ready to "fix" your pool and run it the TFP way. Here is a link to help you KNOW what we do here.

Pool School - Pool School

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

Please understand, a salt pool IS a chlorine pool. The salt is converted to chlorine by the Salt Water Chlorine Generator added to the system.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Permasalt does not claim to be a sanitizer, only an Algaecide.

The Permasalt system requires the bi-weekly use of "Activate", which contains Dichlor, which is stabilized chlorine.

The Permasalt system also uses "Preperate" at the startup, as well as bi-weekly additions of "Klairate" (a clearifier).

Thats a whole lot of chemical additions for a system that boasts "a true low maintanence system", as well as being "green".

Do you and your family a favor by going to a basic chlorine pool, either through manual chlorine additions or a SWG.

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!