pH testing - Best Method?

Aug 7, 2015
Plano, TX
So I recently started using the TF-100 and the pH test it comes with is the basic kind where you put 5 drops of indicator and match the colors. Same setup I had with my old Taylor kit from Leslie's. I have a "cheap" pH meter that I use for brewing that I needed to calibrate the other day so I figured I would check my pool's pH with that since it was already out and I happened to be testing my pool water. The results where not the same as the indicator test results. Meter shows 7.3 and the drop test shows 7.8. Obviously we're not talking about a huge difference here, but I was just curious which of these two methods is more accurate? The meter I have is the Checker by Hanna.

A properly calibrated electronic pH meter is very accurate. Drop testing is accurate as well but it is a bit more subjective than I would like sometimes. It's dependent on lighting and the "eye of the beholder". The most important thing is consistent testing. Try to do your drop testing in consistent lighting situations, which I know can sometimes be difficult with weather and busy schedules. If you use the pH meter, it should be calibrated regularly and even have a standard solution you test every time before testing water samples. Proper storage of the meter sensor tip is also very important to maintain the life and calibration of the meter.

Above all, I would recommend sticking with one method of testing for pH. The method you plan on using every time you check your pool chemistry. Drop testing is usually the winner here as it is convenient and quick because there is no need for maintaining and calibrating a device.

A properly calibrated electronic pH meter is very accurate. Drop testing is accurate as well but it is a bit more subjective than I would like sometimes. It's dependent on lighting and the "eye of the beholder". The most important thing is consistent testing. Try to do your drop testing in consistent lighting situations, which I know can sometimes be difficult with weather and busy schedules. If you use the pH meter, it should be calibrated regularly and even have a standard solution you test every time before testing water samples. Proper storage of the meter sensor tip is also very important to maintain the life and calibration of the meter.

Above all, I would recommend sticking with one method of testing for pH. The method you plan on using every time you check your pool chemistry. Drop testing is usually the winner here as it is convenient and quick because there is no need for maintaining and calibrating a device.

I use the meter pretty often so it gets calibrated on the reg. I store the electrode in storage solution always. It's very important for the mash to remain at 5.2!

- - - Updated - - -

On the Hanna website.

Electrodes Probes - Products

But might not be applicable to your meter. I just saw it as I was fast-reading the site.

Under accessories? Those are all for the bench-top meters. I think there's only one for "The Checker".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.