Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH testing - Best Method?

1. Back To Top    #1

pH testing - Best Method?

So I recently started using the TF-100 and the pH test it comes with is the basic kind where you put 5 drops of indicator and match the colors. Same setup I had with my old Taylor kit from Leslie's. I have a "cheap" pH meter that I use for brewing that I needed to calibrate the other day so I figured I would check my pool's pH with that since it was already out and I happened to be testing my pool water. The results where not the same as the indicator test results. Meter shows 7.3 and the drop test shows 7.8. Obviously we're not talking about a huge difference here, but I was just curious which of these two methods is more accurate? The meter I have is the Checker by Hanna.
    Curtis- 20k gallon IG gunnite/plaster with hot tub/waterfall and "grotto"
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: pH testing - Best Method?

How do you calibrate the Hanna?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    How do you calibrate the Hanna?
    It has a two-point calibration with 7.01 and 4.01 solutions. There are set screws on the top of the meter to adjust the readout for each set point.
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I see that there are different probes, based on the intended use. Wonder if there would be different ones for alcohol based measurement vs water based?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

A properly calibrated electronic pH meter is very accurate. Drop testing is accurate as well but it is a bit more subjective than I would like sometimes. It's dependent on lighting and the "eye of the beholder". The most important thing is consistent testing. Try to do your drop testing in consistent lighting situations, which I know can sometimes be difficult with weather and busy schedules. If you use the pH meter, it should be calibrated regularly and even have a standard solution you test every time before testing water samples. Proper storage of the meter sensor tip is also very important to maintain the life and calibration of the meter.

Above all, I would recommend sticking with one method of testing for pH. The method you plan on using every time you check your pool chemistry. Drop testing is usually the winner here as it is convenient and quick because there is no need for maintaining and calibrating a device.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

I see that there are different probes, based on the intended use. Wonder if there would be different ones for alcohol based measurement vs water based?
    Where did you see this?
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

On the Hanna website.

Electrodes Probes - Products

But might not be applicable to your meter. I just saw it as I was fast-reading the site.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    A properly calibrated electronic pH meter is very accurate. Drop testing is accurate as well but it is a bit more subjective than I would like sometimes. It's dependent on lighting and the "eye of the beholder". The most important thing is consistent testing. Try to do your drop testing in consistent lighting situations, which I know can sometimes be difficult with weather and busy schedules. If you use the pH meter, it should be calibrated regularly and even have a standard solution you test every time before testing water samples. Proper storage of the meter sensor tip is also very important to maintain the life and calibration of the meter.

Above all, I would recommend sticking with one method of testing for pH. The method you plan on using every time you check your pool chemistry. Drop testing is usually the winner here as it is convenient and quick because there is no need for maintaining and calibrating a device.

I use the meter pretty often so it gets calibrated on the reg. I store the electrode in storage solution always. It's very important for the mash to remain at 5.2!

- - - Updated - - -

On the Hanna website.

Electrodes Probes - Products

But might not be applicable to your meter. I just saw it as I was fast-reading the site.
    Under accessories? Those are all for the bench-top meters. I think there's only one for "The Checker".
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

One disadvantage of fast reading websites.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm looking on there now. Don't see them. Can you tell me where?
    Last edited by Ale_Brewer; 09-24-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: NM. I see your link now
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.