Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weir door range of motion?

1. Back To Top    #1

Weir door range of motion?

Fast question about Weir doors I was hoping to get some help on - should the wier door be able to pivot forward (toward the pool) in addition to backwards (towards the skimmer)? Put another way, should a weir door have a 90 degree range of motion or a 180 degree range of motion?

Just wondering because I put new weir doors in our pool (we just bought the house and there weren't any there when we got it). One of them has gotten stuck this week forward (so at perhaps a 45 degree angle towards the pool), causing the skimmer water to run low and air to be sucked in. I'm just trying to figure out how I should fix that - I could either shave the door to give it a full 180 degree range of motion, or I could put some sort of stops on the door to prevent it from traveling past 90 degrees (from horizontal) and getting stuck.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weir door range of motion?

Usually there is a stop at the top of the skimmer opening to prevent it moving toward the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Google 'skimmer weir' and you'll get some helpful pictures to view.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

It should stop at the top and open inward towards the basket. Only 90 degrees of motion.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Great, thanks for the help. So...any suggestions on how/what I could affix to the weir door or passthrough to the skimmer to prevent if from rotation forward towards the pool past 90 degrees?
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I little piece of plastic glued to the top of the weir. It doesn't have to close tight, just not go past 90.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

A couple stainless steel screws driving into the existing plastic could also work. Or screw some chunk of plastic in there.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

8. Back To Top    #8

I had this as well at my last house.

The generic spring loaded weir door would flap back forth releasing debris whilst swimming..ugh.

my solution was to push the door slowly towards the water (I didn't realize i had some more room there)

When I did that it made the weir use the bottom of the skimmer mouth as a stop to keep it from flopping forward.

The generic weir door was shorter than the original one, so it had room to go down a bit too. I had to do
    that as when I first installed, it was too high and would jam itself on the tile grout at the top, causing air to enter the pump when it stuck.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.