New AGP owner in AZ

Sep 21, 2015
Mesa
Greetings,

Steve from Mesa, AZ here.

The only pool I owned previously was a large kiddie pool with the inflatable ring. It's dark blue color and small volume gave the AZ sun an opportunity to turn it into a hot tub. It was quickly overrun by algae, and my wife's creative side let me know she disapproved...

ogre%20x%202%20pool.jpg

Now we have an Aqualeader 18' round. Parisien I think. Metal rails and posts, so no salt water here.

She was insistent that we needed to get a pool. I was very reluctant to drop the $ needed to get an in ground pool.

She got busy and found a $30 pool on Craigslist. Yep. $30. It had some broken plastic pieces and the liner was trash, but it was otherwise good.

We actually spent more on the 4x8 u-haul trailer and trailer light converter kit than the pool.

$330 to buy a 3D printer to create replacements for the broken resin parts.

8 hours to redesign and tweak my version of the resin parts.

10 hours to print EACH replacement part in ABS.

$600 to pay a professional to rip out the swing set, curbing and to grade an area for the pool.

$150 for a new liner.

$80 for a pad under the liner

$70 for a solar cover

$?? for miscellaneous stuff that keeps on coming.

I've lost count, but it's a boatload less than what it would cost to buy a new pool outright and get it professionally installed.

Wife is happy... ultimately, that's all that matters (oh, and I got a 3D printer... WOOT!).

Thanks for reading,

Steve

Thanks for the welcome. I'm one of those weird guys that disassembles and replaces parts they don't want you to replace. Thanks for the link. I just ordered a Taylor K-2006C at $55 delivered via Amazon Prime.

I replaced broken version of this:
20150628_112735.jpg

With a 3D printed version:

20150725_120633.jpg

The parts aren't 100% solid and not as strong as the resin parts, but they are designed to remove many of the weak points of the resin parts making them comparable in performance. The large holes you see were filled with .375" ABS rod in which the screws are threaded.

Steve

Wait, where did you find a 3D printer big enough to make those for $330? That's a steal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a newegg junkie. I get their daily emails. They ran some sort of clearance on the Da Vinci 1.0A that is normally $450 for $350, and since I'm on their daily email list, they gave me another $20 off. Free shipping and no tax. The Da Vinci line comes with a lot of hassle, but the workarounds make it tolerable.

n240sxguy, all the credit goes to my wife... :)

Last edited by a moderator: