Should your main drain and skimmer valve be positioned in the middle?

Sep 23, 2015
TOLLESON/AZ
Hey everyone. This is a simple and elementary question I have about where to
position my Main drain valve and skimmer valve? I should know this, but because it's always been in position. Until now, it looks out of position to me and I think it was in the middle position, but I'm not sure. Please help. I appreciate it.

Attachments

• 1443063322948.jpg
    1443063322948.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 143
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The valve can be in any position you want, depending on where you want to draw water from. In the picture the skimmer is partially closed so most of the suction is from the floor. That is generally opposite of what you want. Usually you only want a little flow from the floor so as to maximize the skimming efficiency.

Welcome to TFP!

Yep, I am normally about 80% skimmer and 20% drain for max skimming. I never go 100% skimmer in case the skimmers get clogged with leaves so there is always water available for the pump. I only switch to 80% drain when brushing the pool so it sucks up the debris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.