Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should your main drain and skimmer valve be positioned in the middle?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should your main drain and skimmer valve be positioned in the middle?

Hey everyone. This is a simple and elementary question I have about where to
    position my Main drain valve and skimmer valve? I should know this, but because it's always been in position. Until now, it looks out of position to me and I think it was in the middle position, but I'm not sure. Please help. I appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should your main drain and skimmer valve be positioned in the middle?

Welcome to TFP!!!

The valve can be in any position you want, depending on where you want to draw water from. In the picture the skimmer is partially closed so most of the suction is from the floor. That is generally opposite of what you want. Usually you only want a little flow from the floor so as to maximize the skimming efficiency.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Yep, I am normally about 80% skimmer and 20% drain for max skimming. I never go 100% skimmer in case the skimmers get clogged with leaves so there is always water available for the pump. I only switch to 80% drain when brushing the pool so it sucks up the debris.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

My valve like this is positioned just like jblizzle and pooldv recommend, about 20% from the MD, 80% skimmers. Skimming is much more important than main drain flow.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't even have a MD (check my sig) so I'm on all skimmer flow. Pool circulates just fine and does well.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN