And the water level goes... here?

Jun 13, 2012
Russellville, AR
Okay, so closing time for my pool. The difference this year is that I added a Hayward skimmer, so I'm not sure which of the following I should do:

1) Should I drain the pool 6" below the skimmer, leave the skimmer in place (except plumbing) as well as leave the old return in place (The Red Lines). This seems like it would help support the skimmer (once all the plumbing was detached since it would have more water in it.

OR...

2) Drain the pool 6" below the old return, so I can clean out anything that has accumulated in that little pocket over the season (The Orange Lines)? This would allow me to thoroughly clean the old, capped return, but I'm concerned the liner won't support the skimmer well with the water that much lower.

Thoughts, opinions, ridicule all welcome. :)

Personally, if it were my pool, I'd unscrew that capped return, take the hoses off the skimmer box and cover the pool. Your pool cover is going to displace pool water during the fall n winter months from rain water. Just keep an eye on it. I go out and check my pool monthly, even during the coldest winter months just to make sure everything looks normal, cover isn't buckling walls, skimmer box is in place etc..... Just don't put the cable of a pool cover under that skimmer box. I've seen them destroy pools by doing that.

While I don't have an intex, I leave my pool full for the winter. I put a plate on my skimmer and plug my return. I see no need to drain my pool down for the winter, as long as I remove any rain that accumulates.

For what it is worth, what I would do with your pool is drain it down to the red line, unless you can put a plate or plug in the skimmer on an Intex - I don't know if there are issues with that. If you are worried about the capped return having "Stuff" in it, just unscrew the cap, let a gallon or two of water run through it, and then cap it again.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.