Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brown spots on blue sapphire granite coping....any idea how to get rid of them?

1. Back To Top    #1

Brown spots on blue sapphire granite coping....any idea how to get rid of them?

Hi,

I'm disappointed that after only a year my new granite coping and caulk is developing what looks like rust-colored stains. Any idea what it might be? An increasing number of stones seems to be affected. There are no overhanging trees so I don't think it would be some sort of sap. Lately I have been using acid magic to get rid of calcium deposits on the tile and grout, so would it be ok to try a diluted acid magic solution on the coping? I tried to upload a picture of it but it didn't work.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Keith
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brown spots on blue sapphire granite coping....any idea how to get rid of them?

Did you use well water to fill the pool with? Does it have a lot of iron in it?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Brown spots on blue sapphire granite coping....any idea how to get rid of them?

Try ascorbic acid (vitamin C) on a spot to see what happens.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Did you use well water to fill the pool with? Does it have a lot of iron in it?
    Thanks for the reply. The water was purchased and delivered by a water supply company that specializes in filling pools. No metals present. Also, the discoloration problem only showed up near the end of this season, not last. Could it be some sort of efflorescence coming up through the coping and grout? I ask this since we have either a calcium and/or efflorescence problem with the tiles/grout. We do have a well but I only add water from it as needed. Also, we never had any similar problem with our previous coping and that was on for 25 years.
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Some granite contains iron and can rust.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Some granite contains iron and can rust.
    Well that's just wonderful....so what do I do about it?

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't know about solving rust stains on granite. I would suspect that the rust could come back over time. Maybe sealing would help.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Don't know about solving rust stains on granite. I would suspect that the rust could come back over time. Maybe sealing would help.
    Acid Magic is supposed to remove rust so hopefully that will do the job. I googled info on rust in granite and really can't find much about that. I have checked with my pool plasterer to see if he knows more about it. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

Check with a good stone mason.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
    Could it be some sort of efflorescence coming up through the coping and grout? I ask this since we have either a calcium and/or efflorescence problem with the tiles/grout. .
    Efflorescence is usually white chalky looking in my experience. Often that is from moisture behind the cement. Usually a dilute Muriatic Acid solution will remove it, but I'm not sure you'd want to put that on unsealed grout?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain