Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Old built-in cement skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Old built-in cement skimmer

I am a first time pool owner with an old built in cement skimmer.
    It is a custom (?) made, so I cannot even find a basket for the skimmer.
    It os the only skimmer/water intake line for my pump.

It has a small T fitting attached in the pipe and connected to pool vac, which I cannot even find a replacement. I do not even know the name of this tee fitting.

Skimmer question
    This post has some pictures of my skimmer.

I was doing some internet search and came across a product called skimmer a round.
    Skim-A-Round | The Floating Skimmer

Anybody ever used this product or heard about it?
    I am thinking about using this product to permanently replace my skimmer.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you in advance as always.
    13k gal / IG / plaster / DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Old built-in cement skimmer

Did you look at the links to the unusual skimmer baskets DaninFL gave you in that other thread? Specifically in post #3.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like it would be fun to watch! Not sure how good it would work. I wonder how much "real estate" it takes up in the pool?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

YippeeSkippy - Yes, I have checked the website but the demension of my skimmer is bit weird to fit those skimmer basket unless I somehow custom build my basket.

If skim a round is as good as it claims to be, it can be the perfect solution to my skimmer problem.
    But there are many products falsely claiming to do wonders.
    I was wondering if anyone knows about this product.

5. Back To Top    #5

By the way, another problem I found with my skimmer is that sometimes it creates some kind of vortex and suck the water into the pool pump, causing air to go in.
    I am not sure why but all the water rushed into the hole in the skimmer and for the brief seconds there is no water in the skimmer. (Water draining into the hole in the skimmer is faster than the pool water moving into the skimmer)

I could minimize this by raising up the water level a bit more but the skimmer loses its function as a skimmer, it will suck water into the pool filter but most floating debris will remain on the top.

So I have to maintain very tight water level to keep my skimmer functional yet to minimize air to go into the pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Min View Post
    If skim a round is as good as it claims to be, it can be the perfect solution to my skimmer problem.
    But there are many products falsely claiming to do wonders.
    I was wondering if anyone knows about this product.
    It doesn't solve the problem of debris going into your pipes and potentially clogging it. I wouldn't risk it even if I had to customize a skimmer basket myself. I don't think it would be impossible to do.

As to your vortex problem, that happens when your water level is too low. The correct level is usually half way up your skimmer box frame. That allows the skimmer to work yet keeps the suction pipe covered with water at all times.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Debris clogging my pipe or damaging the pool pump is my big concern. Skim a round has a basket so I am very tempted to use it to replace my skimmer.
    As for the vortex, low water level definitely increases the frequency of it. However, even water level is 1/3 of skimmer level, it is causing this vortex quite frequently.
    I wonder if the design of the skimmer has anything to do with this.

8. Back To Top    #8

I can't see how a floating skimmer (the SkimARound) is going to protect you from debris possibly going down the pipes/pump? Its just floating in the middle of the pool, whereas something can drop in the water near the original skimmer and be sucked down. Am I missing something there??

Addendum- Ahh.. I see now that the SkimARound is attached to your skimmer via a long tube. I thought it was free floating loose. Well, that *might* work for you if you don't mind that thing floating in the water with you while swimming??

Have you considered customizing a basket for the skimmer instead? To allow you to get rid of all that extra stuff?

9. Back To Top    #9

Somehow coming up with a customized skimmer basket is an option. Still thinking about it.
    Main problem is that I am not a good handyman.
    Custom made basket would be a cheaper solution vs. skim a round.
    Just wondering if anybody used a skim a round or at least heard about it, since I can consider it as mu last resort.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd buy a basket or two that look close and then modify them to fit for you.

Sometimes warming up plastic can make it more bendable and maybe you could shove it into the hole and get it to conform and fit.

Or maybe you just need to chop up a basket in some fashion and reassemble it maybe with zip ties to fit. Perhaps epoxy could reglue the basket back together.

Keep an eye out at stores for small storage bins/buckets/baskets that look like might fit and with a few holes drilled in it could work as a basket.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN