Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What model is my sand filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

What model is my sand filter?

I'm finally redoing my inground pool (badly cracked concrete deck) and decided to fix my sand filter since I was getting sand in the pool. The laterals look "ok" but the top of the center pipe is cracked. I decided to change the whole assembly to start fresh. Thing is, the sticker on my filter is long gone and I can't see any numbers stamped on it. The top valve number is SP714 TC, but seems like that could fit a few filters and it's the filter model that dictates the center pipe assembly model, right? Any specs I could use to measure the filter dimensions and find the model that way?
    John Rock
    16x32 rectangular IG vinyl pool, estimated 23K gal, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump and sand filter, solar heating panels with automated 3 way valve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What model is my sand filter?

Posting a picture would certainly help. That valve number is a Hayward part number so likely the filter is also Hayward.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

You can measure the diameter of the filter, that will help identify the size.

It is probably one of these models, Hayward Pro Series S180T, 210T, 220T, or 244T
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I'm sure it's a Hayward filter. Typical beige. The belly is about 70 inches. Does Hayward publish the size of each filter model?
    John Rock
    16x32 rectangular IG vinyl pool, estimated 23K gal, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump and sand filter, solar heating panels with automated 3 way valve

5. Back To Top    #5

In a round about way they publish the surface area in the manual and you can work it backward from there.
    Or you can look at their sales brochure and it lists the diameters on there.

If it's pretty close to 70" then it should be a 220T. You need to be pretty sure of the measurement, as there's not a lot of difference between a 21" and a 22" body.

If it is the 220T, the folding lateral assembly is an SX220DA.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

So each tank has it's assembly model? (No margin of error)
    John Rock

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, The entire lateral assembly has one number. Since the filters are different sizes the lateral assemblies are slightly different.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I think you got it. A diameter of 22" would give a circumference of 69.12", which is very close to what I quickly measured. The 21" would be 66". Also, by looking at the brochure, it looks like the 21" would be 3" shorter than the the 22". I think I have enough data now to figure this out. Thanks!
    John Rock